14 | Someone Like Him

He looked like he wanted to stay

He looked like he wanted to stay. And she wanted him to as well. There was no one else in her life that she rather spend her time with. But Alexis was a good friend.

And it was her day.

He kissed her softly, crawling on top of where she lay on his bed. She worried that she'd get him sick as well but he did not seem to care. The droplets of water from his wet body made her laugh and she pulled away breathlessly just as his lips started to trail down to her neck.

"I can't do it again," she pleaded, "and you're late for Lexi's birthday. She won't forgive you."

He stared at her intensely. "How can you expect me to just leave you here looking like that?"

She closed her eyes and pushed him away, making him burst into laughter at her red face. She had no idea what to do or say to some of the things that he said and... did. It was all so new. Learning about it and actually doing it was a vastly different experience.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, not sounding apologetic at all. "Go to sleep, alright? You look paler than the bed sheets."

Surely that wasn't the case. But she didn't have it in her to argue. Her head felt sluggish and her eyes drooped as she nodded weakly.

"And, uh, Lyds?" His tone caused her to open her eyes. "The asshole is out of the house tonight but just in case he comes back and bothers you, give me a call, alright?"

His cousin. If she was scared of anyone other than her aunt, it was him. He succeeded in making her uncomfortable every single time that they met. If she could, she'd avoid him every chance she got. Especially tonight when she didn't have any energy left in her. Thankfully, he was away.

"Okay."

She didn't know what made her wake up so abruptly. The room was pitch black. The lamp he'd turned on before he left was off.

And yet, she could still make out the dark figure standing at the end of her bed.

"Go away," she spoke, sitting up. Her head spun and her heart thudded against her chest. "Are you drunk?"

He laughed and moved to sit on the end of her bed. "Did cousin dearest leave you all alone after fucking you?"

She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to blink away the black spots. She needed to call him.

He yanked the telephone receiver out of her hand before she could finish dialling. A strange noise escaped her mouth as she looked at him, astonished.

"Give it back—"

She didn't her far before he pushed her back and climbed on top of her.

"Let's get a taste of what cousin dearest has."

Lydia woke with a blood curdling scream. Even through her blurry eyes, she could tell the room was light and airy. So different from the one in her nightmare. She gasped as images assaulted her mind, looking around for Emma.

She was not here.

"That can't simply be a nightmare," a voice to her left said, making her jump.

Mr Visconti sat in the arm chair in the far corner of their room, one leg crossed over another as he watched her with a blank expression. Her lips parted as he got up and made his way over to her.

He was just wearing slacks and a button down, as if he'd come from somewhere. His sleeves were rolled, tattoos visible. He was terrifying.

"I-I thought you'd left," she whispered, exhaling shakily.

He shook his head before helping her sit up straight. His hands felt like they were burning through her top.

"You need to eat and take a pain killer."

She was nodding before she could gather up the courage to tell him how nauseous she felt.

That can't simply be a nightmare.

She didn't know what he wanted her to say. As far as he knew they were about Elvira. She planned to keep it that way for as long as possible.

She pushed back the bowl of soup just as it threatened to make its way up again. Period pain was something she was used to. It got so intense that even her aunt stopped doing anything to her during that time of the month. The first two days, she threw up from the pain at least twice. Medicine had been banned because her aunt did not give want it interfering with what she gave her but now she could take something for the pain.

Mr Visconti put the tray next to her bedside table.

"You didn't eat much," his tone was unhappy.

She didn't know why that made her feel terrible.

"It would have made me sick."

"I know."

She looked at him, surprised. "Then why are you upset with me?"

For the first time since they'd met, he looked caught off guard. Then, a slow smile made its way onto his lips. It was such a breathtaking sight, she almost felt like she was doing something wrong by staring.

She couldn't look away.

"What was the nightmare about?"

Her eyes went back to her lap.

"My aunt—"

"Don't lie," he interrupted softly, reaching forward so he could gently yank her chin up. "You're not scared of your aunt. Not enough to scream like that. So," he slightly tilted his head to the side, face impassive, "what was the nightmare about?"

"A bad person."

The smile was no longer on his face but he nodded.

"All the nightmares are about them," she continued, gripping the comforter tightly. "All of them."

It was so quiet she could hear her own breathing. Years had passed and she'd vowed to never open her mouth. Now that she'd said it out loud, what once could be passed off as something she surely must have imagined because it was too horrific to be true, suddenly seemed more and more real.

"Are you going to tell me who they are?"

She couldn't help a self-deprecating smile. "Mr Visconti?"

"Yes?"

"The worst one of them... I don't even know his name."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬