13 | Someone Like Her

Xavier ran a hand down his face as he sat back in his seat, impatiently waiting for the jet to take off

"Why the fuck do we pay millions every year if they can't get going on time?" Rafa growled.

The stewardess smiled but didn't say anything. They all became used to him after a couple of years. He was hard around the edges but if people didn't do anything to hurt him or the Visconti family, he was pretty much harmless.

Xavier was coming back from Zschokke. The opening of Visconti Corp. had gone smoothly, just like he had predicted. Still, despite knowing his best employees were going to the branch, it eased his mind if he was there for the opening ceremony. Not only did it boost morale, it also sent a message to everyone that the Visconti's were not to be fucked with.

It made his father happy as well.

And there was nothing he wouldn't do during his last months that he did not wish for. No matter how much he thought about his father passing away, he still couldn't believe the man would leave him. Ergo, he tried to pretend everything was fine.

"I need to make a stop once we land," Rafa began once they were in the air. Finally. "I'll be present at tomorrow's meeting."

Xavier refrained from rolling his eyes.

"You can just say you're going to see Mathias," he said lightly. "Do you really think I'm going to behave like Noah?"

Rafa chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment.

"I get why Mr Crawford is cautious," he sighed. "I just get the feeling you don't want to be in the middle of this in case something goes wrong. Wouldn't it be better to take on the ignorant route? It's worked in your favor before."

He was right. Xavier had so much going on that unless matters required his immediate attention, he tried to avoid them as much as possible. However, once he got a whiff of something being wrong, it was in his blood to make things right again. Like when he'd found out about Emma-Lynn, Noah's step-sister being kept in a confined space by her mother for years. It wasn't his fight. He didn't even have anything to do with it but he couldn't help himself. He had to get dirt on her mother so Noah could save his sister.

Sister. If he considered her that.

That was one reason Cairo was ignoring him these days.

"I don't know what's going on with Cairo," Xavier muttered, "The kid is the last person I expect to behave this way."

Rafa looked a little uncomfortable as he sat up. "About that, I—" he paused as if he was debating now if he should disclose whatever it was that he had to say, "I saw him with a girl a few weeks back."

Xavier raised an eyebrow, inclining his head when the stewardess placed lunch on the table in front of them.

"Is that a bad thing?" he questioned. "He's had girlfriends before."