9 | Someone Like Her

Xavier Visconti was rarely ever left speechless

Xavier Visconti was rarely ever left speechless. His mother's death, his father's illness, the things he'd done to get where he was today... all were expected. Never easy—no. But he could handle it. After all, that's how the eldest children were raised in the family. Even if he made sure his brothers got equal rights, equal power and wealth as him, he was always the one everyone looked to when things went to shit.

Just like it had been with Elvira Miller. It was Christopher's mistake but he was the one fixing it. Fixing it... was a loose term. The more he tried to fix it, the more confusing the situation became.

Case in point; the fucking child sitting right in front of him. Xavier's never even seen a child ever since Cairo grew up. Unlike her mother's ash blonde, the child has red hair.

Mother.

The girl he'd been infatuated with for the past few weeks was a mother. How was that even possible when it seemed like she was moments away from falling apart herself? The child looked to be about two years of age but from the way she spoke—or rather screamed—she was probably older.

Apart from Tony's 'oh shit', no one had really spoken for the whole ride to Cairo's apartment complex. What was he even supposed to say in a situation like this? When they'd walked over, he was certain the kid had to be Elvira's. No one could have prepared him for when she called her 'mommy'.

It had to have been a teenage pregnancy. The thought made him feel uncomfortable. Children were something the Visconti's planned. It was unheard of anyone to raise a child at such a young age because that was the time to make your future. But the girl in front of him was in university—getting a degree in one of the hardest courses an academic institute could offer—and that too on a fully paid scholarship.

So why did she have a child?

There was a haunted look in her eyes as she sat on the seat in front of him, clutching onto her daughter who'd forgotten all about the screaming she'd done over water and was looking out of the tinted window at all buildings, trees and the sun. He could tell her daughter's words had hurt her. Even now, her hands shook as she tried to put a smile on for her daughter.

"It's so tall!" the child squealed, looking at her mom as they came into the view of the apartment complex. "So shiny! Mommy, look!"

She smiled but kept an eye on her daughter. Putting on her backpack first, she got out of the car and turned around. Xavier was already out. Tony had gone upstairs to meet with Cairo and Rafa stood to the side, keeping an eye out.

Despite the excessive security, he was still paranoid.

"Let's go, Emma."