15 | Someone Like Her

Tw: suicide and rape

I don't even know his name.

The sentence played in his mind again and again, making it difficult to focus on anything going on in front of him.

Alec Daichi, the current leader of Varjot, seemed like he wasn't paying much attention to the presentation as well. After all, it was just a formality for the Visconti's to let their strongest allies know where their business was expanding. The only person who seemed to be paying attention was Noah. The sight did not surprise Xavier. His friend was a workaholic to the core. He had eased ever since the arrival of his sister but only a little.

"How is that going to work from the security point of view?" Noah asked as soon as the presentation was over.

Of course, he was the only person who had any questions. It did make sense. It was his security Xavier had employed in the new branch overseas. The two had talked about joining to create a bigger security company but it was still in its initial stages. His expertise was banking and he knew new business took years.

Xavier tuned out everyone once he felt eyes on him.

Alec Daichi.

The man was... beautiful. Large eyes, smooth skin. That was why the former queen of Varjot had chosen him as her next victim. But Xavier couldn't see past the images of him lying in his own blood out of his mind. He'd been so young then, so fragile. It was a twist of fate which had led him to become the leader of Varjot. And he was the best they'd seen yet.

"Varjot wanted to intervene with Dr. Elvira Miller's case. We all have a reason to believe she can do a lot of harm. However, I asked them to let you handle it once I found out some more information," Alec paused. "I take it you're aware of the niece."

Varjot did not know about Emma.

Xavier nodded. "The niece doesn't live with Ms. Miller anymore. You have my full permission to take over as of now. I'd just like to ask Varjot doesn't adopt its usual gory method of teaching a lesson."

Alec grimaced at that. "Thank you for letting me know, Mr Visconti."

He looked like he wanted to say something else but was hesitating.

So Xavier decided to help him out a little. "Is everything okay?"

"I wanted to thank you," he blurted out in a hushed tone.

It wasn't needed. Noah was still talking about every aspect of security. It was a good thing Xavier had the best people working for him or else the poor woman presenting would have left by now.

A few years back, Alec had tried to commit suicide. There had been a party and the current queen and king of Varjot had a knack for parading their toys. All the queen had allowed Alec was a pair of sheer pants. As the night had gone by, there was nothing saving him from the touches and leers and groping. From what he could tell, he'd already been sick. The night was the last straw for him.

Xavier had wanted to leave then. Their parties were the worst events that he was obliged to attend. He couldn't fathom how Alec must have been feeling.

Outside, he'd found a nameless woman. They'd taken to upstairs. He thought he could forget about what was going on downstairs if he just focused on the woman who lay in front of him. However, the distraction lasted only an hour. He was out of the room before she could open her mouth to say something coherent.

At the end of the hallway, he'd found Matias; Amara's loyal bodyguard since day one. He looked worried. The queen trusted no one with Alec except for him which meant he was inside the room Matias was currently guarding.

"If he's been inside for a long time, something is wrong," Xavier remembered informing the bodyguard.

It took a moment for Matias to break down the door once he realised it was locked.

There was so much blood. He'd never seen Amara so hysterical in his life. Not even when her previous toy had left. Everyone at that party had been left stunned. What else were they expecting?

Xavier had been the one to keep his cool. He'd called Noah and one of his hospital wards had been cleared out.

"You need to stop with this shit," he'd been livid where Amara arrived.

They were friends. Despite her monstrous nature when it came to choosing lovers, she was a ruthless businesswoman. She played a significant part in how people perceived Varjot.

"He may have survived this time but he's going to try again. You've been training him to take over. It'll go to waste. There are others who would worship you if you gave them a chance," he might have just said Matias' name at this point, "but you're forcing someone who doesn't want to do anything with you. What's the difference between you and Slater? You're both rapists. Charm doesn't cover shit, Amara. Let him take over and find someone who is willing."

"I was awake," Alec said now, shifting a little in his seat so he could face him. "If it wasn't for you I'd still be at some other party."

The words made his head hurt.

"There are so many things I turn a blind eye to that you being grateful makes me feel like an imposter," Xavier gave him a miniscule smile.

He smiled back. The king of Varjot smiling was unheard of and Xavier shook his head. He'd changed the whole damn organisation.

"Mr Visconti?" he spoke just a moment later. "Do you care about Ms Miller's niece? She is in the some of the classes as Clo's ex husband."

Clo was his girlfriend.

Xavier felt a surge of annoyance at him for asking such a personal question. However, the look on his face was harmless.

He was trying to tell him something.

"Yes, I do," he finally answered.

Alec nodded as they stood up with the others as the meeting came to an end.

"You should ask her about what happened at her school."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬