Keeping My Head Down

I didn't realize that parents could hurt their children to this extent. 

Only four days after I came and I was a prisoner to my parents. 

They made up a story about me being violent and having to be kept away from the other children. So while they did their jobs, I was locked in a closet. 

Sometimes, a man with scarring on half of his face would walk them back and question about me. 

And more lies spilled from their mouths. 

I was so hungry and it hurts so bag. 

I poke at a rather large bruise on my upper arm from where Pa had grabbed me.

No. 

No, no. 

They weren't my parents. 

They were Gianna and Peter. 

My parents were named Glenn and Maggie Rhee. 

Those people were just the donors. 

While with them, I've smoked my first cigarette. 

Peter was drunk and invited me out of the closet. He offers me a cigarette but I know that it wasn't a request. 

I cough and sputter after the first drag and they just laugh at me. 

"See. Told ya he was too pussy to handle a smoke." Peter slurs. 

And sometimes, when I was in the closet, I could hear them rocking the bed. 

I asked Glenn about it once and he told me about how babies were made. He was red the whole time he explained it. 

Then I went to Aaron and questioned how it worked with two boys. Then I went to Tara, who once told me about her girlfriend and asked her how it worked with two girls. 

So I knew what they were doing. 

But I would curl up in the tiny closet and press my hands over my ears. 

Peter had only ever hit me once before this whole mess started. That was when I called my sisters for help. 

But now, he seemed to like hurting me. He like causing me pain. 

He did more than hit. He punched, he kicked and he even bit me once. 

It gave me time to ponder over Abraham and Glenn's death. 

And it still hits me hard. 

Everyone that I ever have and ever will love will someday die. 

Dying naturally was a rarity. 

I wanted Glenn to open those doors and swoop me into his arms. My hero that has saved me many times before. 

He'd carry me to Maggie and we would live happily ever after with Enid and the baby. 

I was never really close to Enid but I swore that once this was over and I was back as Alexandria that I would make an effort to know her better. 

It was a late afternoon and I think that I had a fever. I was sweating up a storm in the closet. 

"Andrew?" The man with the scarred face enters the room. "It's Dwight. You in here?" 

"Here!" I choke out and the closet door is opened. 

"What are you doing in there?" Dwight questioned. 

"I fell in." The lie falls from my mouth after a few moments hesitation.