Chapter Five

Neither of you blush. It was awkward staring into each other’s eyes without saying anything but you knew you had to maintain to eye-contact. If you didn’t, your words wouldn’t truly reach Mephisto. He looks away, grinning, fangs and all, “You’re stubborn, ____. You really are. I could easily get the items on your list and yet you insist you get them yourself.” he looks back to you with fierce green orbs, “What do you think of that boy, dear?”

You were confused at first. He was asking this out of nowhere, but you almost didn’t want to tell him how much good you thought of Rin. After some thinking, you knew what you had to say, “Rin is my best friend. My only friend in fact. A-and I love being with him.”

Mephisto’s eyes widen slightly and his chest drops. He quickly recollects himself and manages to gather, “I see...” he starts, “____.” he says, looking away, “Do you think there’s a chance that you’d reschedule your meeting with Rin and... we can do the shopping together, just you and me..?”

You turn a deep red, extremely confused. Was he asking you out? “M-Mephisto? Why would I tell Rin to wait longer for me? And I don’t think I can wait any longer.”

“Okay...” he mumbles quietly, his hair concealing his eyes, “It’s hot out. Allow me to drive you.”

“That’d be great. But Mephisto.” he looks up to you, trying to hold back his emotions, “Would you like to have dinner together?” his eyes widen and his mouth tugs into a genuine smile.

“I’ll get the limo ready, miss ____~!” Mephisto says in his usual, chivalrous tone. You giggle, it certainly is nice to see him back to his old self again. You sigh playfully as you change into the clothes Kotomi had given you: combat boots, black yoga pants, another white shirt and the same red leather jacket from that night. Looking into the mirror, you comb through your hair with your fingers and leave, smiling. You hope that Rin missed you too, but he probably did considering what he said last night. You wanted to say hi to Shiro too, for without him, you would have never met Mephisto. Thinking back, you realize you hadn’t told Shiro what Mephisto wanted to say: You’ve done a fine job...What does that mean?

You shook your head. It wasn’t the time to think now, you couldn’t keep Mephisto waiting. You took the key and slipped it into your jacket’s breast pocket while you walked out your dorm. You gently shut the door and decide to say hi to Yukio before leaving. You walk a few steps over and knock on his door. He swings it open, surprised it was you. You see that there are boxes sprawled all over his room, half packed, half open. He slides his glasses up the bridge of his nose and smiles, “It’s nice to see you, _____.”

You return his smile, putting your hands behind your back, clasping them together, “Same to you, Yukio.” you start warmly, “But listen. I’m going over to the monastery. Do you have anything you want to say to Rin or Shiro or any of the other priests?”

He looks up to think and then looks back at you with a glow in his eyes, similar to Rin’s, “You wouldn’t mind if I came with you, would you?”

You giggle softly, “I’d have to ask Mephisto, but I wouldn’t mind~” you grab his wrist and force him out of his room, hauling him outside much like earlier today. “I sure hope he says yes! I want to get to know you better~”

“I-I would too...” he isn’t blushing as much as this morning which almost disappoints you. You laugh on the inside and find Mephisto playing with a hamster on the roof of his car. A feeling of familiarity hits you that that hamster was the same one from the day Mephisto helped you. The hamster nods and jumps in the window. He probably heard both of your loud footsteps and looked back, confused. He throws Yukio a death glare, “Mr. Okumura.”

“Preceptor Pheles.” Yukio says, fixing his posture.

“Let go of _____’s hand right now, Okumura.” he says disgustedly. Yukio glances at his hand, not even realizing how sweaty his palms were. You let go, a light flush coming to both of your faces.

“S-sorry sir.”

“What are you doing with ____?” he growls. He looks at you with gentle green eyes, “You may go in the car. In the seat next to mine.” he looks back at Yukio with eyes as if he was a different person. Not wanting to make a scene, you sit in the car with closed eyes. You happened to overhear their conversation, “Listen here, Okumura. _____’s hand belongs in mine. Now tell me what business you have with her.” What the hell does he mean by ____’s hand belongs in mine?! you blush with a furrowed brow.

“Sh-she came by my dorm and asked if I had anything to tell my father or brother. I suggested I came with and she said she’d ask you.” Yukio says nervously.

“Tch. You’re not getting a ride from me. You’d just have to meet us there.”

“B-but sir! That’s a two mile walk!”

“Not my problem is it, Mr. Okumura?” you open your (e/c) eyes, figuring the conversation will come to an end, only to find a green-haired man batting his eyes directly in your face. You tried to muffle the sound of your scream but Mephisto still forces the door open. You look back at Mephisto, trembling, “W-who is that?!”

Mephisto’s eyes rage, “Amaimon, what the hell are you doing?!” the man, apparently named Amaimon, winced at Mephisto’s words of anger.

“I just wanted to see why you love this human so much, brother.” you turn a deep crimson.

“L-love?! Mephisto you love me?!” he looks at you with a flash of nervousness and looks back at his brother.

“D-don’t listen to him, _____! He has cauliflower for hair.”

“Actually, it’s broccoli.” Amaimon definitely knows how to lift the mood. But that doesn’t stop the fact that your heart is beating so hard, your chest might explode. You take a deep breath and say what you know is the completely wrong thing, but well, you can’t return his feelings right now when you have Rin.

“You love me as a friend, then, right?” you smile. It made you feel so guilty having to say that.

Mephisto looks away with his hair concealing his eyes and his voice lowers, “Y-yeah. I love you so much, friend...”