Chapter Five

The crime scene was sealed. It was past four in the morning when the initial inspection of the crime scene was almost done. Neil found himself staring at the piece of note yet again. The complications in this case had his head spinning.

The murderer was smart enough, he would give it that. Not leaving any trace of clue was an indication of how well thought off the murders were. Above all, the murderer literally handed him the next target, more like a challenge though, it still did not give away anything apart from what it meant to.

The murderer was smart enough to not leave a hand written note. Instead, the note consisted of words framed with alphabet cut outs from various magazines and newspapers. Neil was confident that he wouldn't find finger prints on the paper to check with their database either.

Too smart, Neil thought agitatedly.

Ananya Verma, the name popped in his head and his body stilled. She was the next target.

His eyes fell on his wrist watch and he read the time 5:12 a.m.

It was still dark with the deep blue sky blanketing above. He weighed his options; he could either wait for a bit and investigate on the recent murder or he could pay her an early visit at her doorstep. He finally decided to go with the first one.

Neil tried hard to concentrate on the file he held. However, he felt nothing but restlessness. He had somehow managed to reach the police station but his thoughts were as unsettled as the case in hand. Tons of questions popping into his head and he had no answers.

Fuck it, Neil thought gruffly as he stormed out of the police station. On his way out, he barked commands at every official he could lay his eyes at.

*

The doorbell didn't receive any mercy from the cop who constantly punched it. His thoughts scattered as he stood at her doorstep. There were chances that the murderer was plotting something major this time. It might not follow its pattern having made it clear who its next target was. The thought gripped his heart with fear. The silence on the other side of the door made his throat dry.

Relief washed over as the door flew open, though that didn't last long. Her sleepy eyes were in daze, while she stifled a yawn. "What the," she started to have met his blazing eyes.

"Watch that tongue of yours," he walked past her, pushing her aside in the process. He self-welcomed himself in her apartment. How gentlemen like, she thought sarcastically.

"Fuck, no," she turned around as she rolled her eyes at him for his bossy nature. She wasn't going to take that. Standing there in a basic t-shirt and cotton shorts, she glared at him while her hands rested on her hips. She seemed to be yet another challenge this case had thrown at him.

Unaffected with her glares, he glanced around. Her studio apartment neatly organized and well furnished, painted the simplicity of her life. Finally, his eyes rested on her and she found his eyes accessing her.

She sighed, she wouldn't receive any answers until she questioned. So, she did, "What are you here for, Officer?"

"It's ACP Khanna," he reminded but her eye rolls told him, she didn't care. He handed her the piece of paper and studied her briefly. Her bored expressions confused him. Did she read something different?

Clearing his throat, he grabbed her attention, "You are next on its list," he held her equally blank eyes.

"Thank you," she softly spoke and held the note for him only to add, "but I will manage."

The rage in his eyes could have burnt anything he set his eyes at; and she was the one he chose to narrow his flaming eyes at. The fury in his eyes would have flinched anyone but she didn't as much flutter her eyelashes.

"Ananya," the stern warning in his tone was evident. 

*

I don't have much to say. But hopefully the chapter says enough!

Currently working on the 21st chapter of this story along with the next parts for my other 2 stories and some new random ideas. Too much to work on and barely any time in hand. But I will work it out.

Also, my reading list is lying pending since long. Too much to read.

Anyways, Thoughts please!