Chapter Fourteen

Neil carried her in his arms and walked towards her bed. Carefully placing her on the bed, he took a step back while his eyes settled on her. A sparkling beauty that she was, she unknowingly drew attention. Only until she doesn't open that mouth of hers to prove her stubbornness, he shook his head at the thought as a smile warmed up his features.

You are equally stubborn, Officer, he heard the stupid comment mimicking her voice. The woman was getting under his skin. He sat beside her on the bed and pulled the comforter over her. His fingers brushed across hers and his eyes shifted back to her. A thought ran across his mind as he looked at her unaltered expression; he wished, he had acted a little different. Maybe then she wouldn't have been lying unconscious here, his gut tightened with guilt. He reminded himself that he didn't have the time to regret. Ruffling her hair, he straightened up while he tried to do the same with his thoughts.

He dished out his phone and dialed DD. "Sir," DD answered shortly in his crisp voice.

"Tighten the security at Ananya's apartment. Double it up. I want you to monitor this personally," he ordered. As expected, DD agreed without any further complaints or questions. DD had earlier called him up to inform that Ananya's cell phone was found on the premises soon after the search was instructed.

Neil also instructed him to take statements from each and everyone present in the premise while the incident took place. He also wanted them to seize any footage they could gather from the location and places around. He wanted to get hold of anything and everything they could lay their hands on. This case grew challenging with every passing incident that took place.

After the call, he plopped onto the couch that lay right in front of her bed. His eyes raked through her frame. There was something about her that held his interest. It wasn't just about her flawless beauty but her sharp mind. She was witty and stubborn; stubborn enough to put up a fight against him. There were not many who could stand against him. However, he had a strange feeling that there was something more to her. She wasn't only what she projected about herself but a lot more. She had something hidden underneath. And he was definite that he would have a tough time to figure her out.

His growing interest in her clouded his mind with confusion. The sudden vibration in his pocket broke his chain of thoughts and he cursed under his breath. He reached for his phone to check the message notification. It was DD. 'Concentrate, Neil', he scolded himself and tried to focus on the message content.

She stirred in sleep and in the process, dragged his attention. 'Damn it', he scowled at his inability to concentrate. She held her head in her hand and groaned. She managed to push her back against the headboard with her eyes squeezed shut due to the pain.

He didn't know what he was expecting but he definitely did not expect her to call out for that one name, "Ali," concern laced in her voice. 

*
I have something coming up soon for you all. If you follow me on Instagram, you already might have an idea. And if not, even then it's not a problem. I will soon be posting that up here. I just need to furnish the idea a bit more before it can be put up here.

Till then think of the suspicious activities happening here ;P