Chapter Four

(Alira)

I was up before the sun, like most days. After a quick change into some trousers I'd cut off at the knee and a simple linen top, I slipped from my tent, barefoot. There weren't any other early risers up at this time making it the perfect time for a quick swim to kick off my morning training routine. The moon was still vivid and bright and there wasn't even the faintest hint of sunlight on the horizon.

Ever since my recent run ins with Captain Vane, I was having trouble sleeping. It was hard for me to fall asleep, and I always woke up too early. I made my way to the beach under the glow of the moon and stars and paused as I spotted someone sitting on a log watching the waves crash down on the shore. My heart skipped a beat as I recognized the size and shape of his figure and his mane of hair. It was Captain Vane.

He turned, sensing my presence, causing the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end. A small smirk twitched at the corners of his lips. My heart started to race as I felt his gaze fall on me, and soon found myself ensnared in his beautiful blue green eyes.

"Not going to war today?" He mused as he noticed me completely weaponless, "Or is this another one of your captain's asinine punishments?"

Anxiousness wormed through me, he'd noticed pretty quickly that I was weaponless. He had a calculative gaze, like mine, seeing everything and everyone as an opponent, always calculating, always sizing them up deciphering if they were stronger or weaker. "I'm perfectly capable of protecting myself whether I'm armed or not." I noted crisply.

"I've noticed. It's quite impressive." He smirked and I felt my heart flutter in my chest. I didn't like that he noticed me.

"Aren't you a little far from your camp?" I pondered as I paused on my way to the water's edge.

"You seem to know a lot about my camp, why is that?" He pondered as he sat up straighter, his rippling muscles flexing as he moved.

Deciding it best not to answer, I continued on my way toward the water without a word. Only to shiver involuntarily as I felt his gaze on my back. My heart pounded in my chest as I heard him a few steps behind me. Tensing I clenched my fists and spun around, preparing to intercept him. I'd never thought of him as the kind of man to attack someone with their back turned. He was a true fighter, like me. He loved the fight, the challenge.

His eyes widened as he noticed my defensive stance and the tension in my entire body. "Are you always this jumpy?"

"This is an island of pirates, lowlifes and thieves, I'm not jumpy, I'm cautious." My body couldn't relax in his presence. Though he wasn't doing anything the least bit threatening, he was just standing there completely relaxed watching me with a small smirk, his mesmerizing eyes twinkling with amusement. I was getting mixed signals from my body, I didn't know if I wanted to turn and run, fight him or just stand rooted to the spot getting lost in his eyes.

"You don't act cautious around anyone else." He noted with another maddening smirk.

I clenched my fists at my sides. So, he'd picked up on that too. Why was he paying so much attention to me? Why was he watching me so closely? "I know a stronger opponent when I see one."

This only seemed to intrigue him more. "So, you don't fight a fight unless you're certain you can win?"

"It is a much smarter approach, and has kept me alive this long, however it's not entirely the case. Even if I am not certain of the outcome I would still engage in combat, if I were provoked." I kept my tone steady.