Chapter Fourteen

(Alira)

Viktor's strong meaty hand clapped down on my shoulder the moment I stepped back into town. "Where in seven hells have you been, Alira?" He hissed.

"None of your business."

"Those guns could have fired on the beach, or the town, you could have been killed, don't ever leave my sight when there is canon fire." His voice shook, remembering his beloved and lost child. Sofia, like many others died during our hellacious trials crossing the sea. Another vessel tried to overtake us, we lost many to their guns, Sofia amongst them, they were upon us in the dead of night, it was darkness and chaos. A setting where I thrived. Sofia was gone before I'd even gotten out of bed.

I slaughtered every living thing on the ship that had attacked us. They had no idea what hit them, I'd been consumed with rage and bloodlust. Many cried out 'ghost' or 'demon' and prayed to whatever false gods they believed in to save them, but there was no being in heaven or hell that could save them from my wrath.

Shrugging out of Viktor's hold I fixed him with a hard look, "I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

"You're not even armed!" Viktor snapped taking in my current appearance.

"Nonetheless, I can handle myself Viktor."

Viktor frowned, "It's him, isn't it? Vane? He took over the fort, that's where you went running off to."

"I don't see how that's any concern of yours." I glowered.

"Jesus, you're fucking smitten, Alira." He groaned. "Stay away from Captain Vane, you'll just get hurt."

"I don't care." I snapped before I could stop myself and cursed under my breath as I realized I'd admitted the feelings I'd been trying to keep bottled up aloud to my brother. A sudden vulnerability washed over me, "...I don't care if I get hurt...so leave it alone."

Viktor sighed and wrapped his bulky arms around me pulling me into a tight embrace, "You're my baby sister, I'll never leave it alone, no one will ever be worthy of you, but I'll respect your wishes and I'll crush him when he hurts you."

I rolled my eyes at this, "Don't be so sure about that brother, I don't think you could best him in a fight, not now...something's changed within him. He's stronger than before."

Viktor looked beyond me as he heard people begin to shout and scatter. Mothers called for their children to get inside, chaos was back and people were fleeing to get out of the streets. I shoved out of Viktor's hold and turned to see what the commotion was. My heart skipped a beat in my chest as I spotted Captain Vane flanked by several of his new intimidating crew of monstrous looking men. They all had wild hair, were much larger than the average man and had a hard look about them. These weren't the same kind of spineless men he'd had with him before.

"Fuck." Viktor swore under his breath before grabbing me by the arm to keep me from running to Captain Vane.

I felt Captain Vane's gaze fall on me and felt my heart begin to race unsteadily in my chest as I saw a sexy crooked smile curl on his lips. His gaze fell on my brother keeping me at his side and his smile turned to a smirk. There was a silent exchange in that single look to my brother and I heard a low angry growl bubble deep within Viktor's throat, a challenge had been issued.

Captain Vane and his crew walked past without a word heading for Guthrie's tavern. My blood began to boil before I mentally told myself to remain calm. The Guthrie bitch was still the self-proclaimed princess if he wanted something he'd have to make demands from her and since he had the best bargaining position she'd be inclined to listen to those demands. I had to tell myself it was strictly business, just a powerplay and nothing more but I still felt a dark hatred worming through me at the thought of them together.