Chapter Eight

(Alira)

The morning The Walrus' crew went to vote to depose their captain, I woke up later than usual, my dreams plagued with the sexy captain of The Ranger, Charles Vane. I rolled out of bed and went to the basin I had set on a stand next to a hanging mirror and a pitcher of fresh water. After a quick wash, I worked some lilac oil into my hair giving it a nice shine and a pleasant smell before changing for the day. It was already sweltering out and it was still morning. I opted for a pair of grey trousers I'd cut off just above the knee, a tight deep grey corset and a loose white linen shirt over top.

Settling for a light amount of weaponry I attached a leather band around my right thigh with a blade secured on the inside and outside of my thigh before securing the harness across my back for my curved blades. I opted for a pair of flat grey linen shoes instead of my boots in hopes of staying cool before sweeping my long pale hair into a bun wrapping it with a piece of grey linen with shells woven into it one of the children on the island had made. I'd paid the child a few gold pieces and she'd nearly cried in joy.

I stepped out of my tent and paused as I found Dimitri and Viktor waiting for me. "Good morning."

"You're not usually this late at getting up." Dimitri commented casually, "Everything okay?"

"I'm fine." I shrugged and headed for the coast, I wanted to have a talk with Billy about what was going on with the crew of The Walrus and where he stood on the matter. He hadn't docked with the rest of the crew yesterday and I'd missed my chance to question him about it.

"Where were you last night, after you left the brothel?" Viktor pondered.

"Why?" I asked with a sigh.

"Alira." Viktor growled, losing his patience quickly.

"I was on the beach."

"With?" Dimitri mused.

"None of your goddamn business." I hissed angrily and turned to walk away.

"Alira, I'm challenging you." Dimitri called after me drawing the attention of the entire crew.

I turned to him curiously. Was he serious?

There was a murmur among the men. Challenges were typically issued to try and better one's ranking or on occasion to settle disputes. Everyone watched us anxiously.

Viktor looked to his best friend in concern. My brother and I had never fought, he had no idea how he'd fare in a fight against me and I had a suspicion he wasn't sure he could win. I folded my arms across my chest and waited for Dimitri to continue.

"I challenge your rank, and if I am victorious you'll answer our questions honestly about your whereabouts." Dimitri straightened himself up, "Pick the challenge."

The crew looked somewhat confused by this and I could hear some of them whispering in hushed tones, conspiring and coming up with wild stories about where I'd disappeared to the previous night. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at this. These morons gossiped more than most women.

"Combat." I smirked.

"Weapons?"

"Staff."

Dimitri looked a little less worried. It wasn't typically seen as a lethal weapon. "Agreed."

"Challenge accepted." I smiled as I headed closer to the shore to an empty patch of space.