Chapter Eleven

(Alira)

When Viktor finally decided to allow the crew to return to Nassau, I found Captain Vane missing from the island. I heard from the local gossip that he'd disappeared in the night like a ghost. Though Jack informed me he just left in the middle of the day and had been acting rather distant beforehand. Where did he go? Why did he leave? Did he admit defeat to that Guthrie bitch? He and Jack had somehow acquired the deed to the brothel before he disappeared and Mr. Noonan was no more.

On the evening of our return to Nassau I lay awake in my tent, Captain Vane was gone and the crew of the Walrus was out to sea and even with my entire crew partying outside of my tent I'd never felt so alone. I couldn't help but think of the last night I'd seen Captain Vane, the feel of his lips on mine, it made my heart pound just thinking about it. Sensing movement outside of my tent, I reached for the sword tucked against the side of my cot and moved myself into a crouch as I silently unsheathed the blade. Someone was sneaking around the back of my tent, away from the crew. Did they have a death wish?

I saw the briefest outline of a silhouette, a small slight silhouette with long hair and a frumpy hat, Anne Bonny? What did she want? "Good Evening, Miss Bonny, the entrance to this tent is on the opposite side, do come in." She stiffened at this but reluctantly made her way to the entrance of my tent.

Her blue eyes fell on the sword in my hand as she ducked into my tent. She kept her distance but made no move to reach for any of her weapons. "Good Evening, Alira."

Seeing she wasn't here for a fight I sheathed my blade and returned it to its position next to my cot. "I don't really drink a lot of alcohol but I can offer you some water and a seat." I motioned to the two chairs next to a small writing desk.

She took a seat but declined the water. Why on earth was she here? I sat at the chair opposite her and waited patiently for her to explain herself. Her eyes were darting curiously around my tent growing wide with each new weapon she found tucked in hidden locations or laying out in the open and a small smile crossed her lips. "I'd venture to guess you've never been taken advantage of by a man." Her voice was filled with awe and admiration.

"Probably not what you're imagining...I suppose you have and I'm sorry." I offered her a smile. "Not to be rude but I feel like you're not here to make friends which is a shame, I think we'd get along very well, did you want something from me, Miss Bonny?"

"You're quick." She smiled, "And I think you might be right...but that's not why I'm here...I want your help with something..."

"You want me to kill someone?" I mused with a smile.

She nodded. "A few..."

"Are you aware an assassin charges per kill? Prices can vary on difficulty of taking down said targets..." I paused to scoff, "...though if they're on this island it's not going to be very difficult..."

"So, it's true, you really are an assassin?"

"Yes."

"Eight targets, all from what's left of our crew..."

"If you wanted to be my friend, I could give you the friend's discount." I extended my hand to her with a smile, "All kills free of charge. So, Miss Bonny, would you like to be friends?"

Anne slipped her hand in mine. "Friends." She agreed with a nod.

"I assume you came here already with a plan in mind, let's hear it."