Chapter Eighteen

(Alira)

As night fell, I quickly scaled the wall of the fort before flipping over the ledge my body pulling tightly into a spiraling flip. Landing swiftly atop one of the canons, I startled the two lookouts on duty. They jumped at my sudden appearance.

"Where's Captain Vane?" I demanded.

They both pointed toward the fort and I grumbled a curse under my breath. I hated that damn fort. It was a fucking maze. Sighing I hopped off the canon and made my way toward the fort. I didn't make it more than halfway across the courtyard before I was stopped by one of Vane's newest crewmembers. He was a tall giant of a man, not quite as tall as Viktor but fairly close and just as muscular.

"What?!" I growled as he blocked my path with his arms folded across his chest, my anger made my accent much sharper and harsher than usual.

"Got a lot of weapons, tiny one." He scoffed as he took note of my heavily armed appearance. "You even know how to use them?"

I smirked, "care to find out?"

"I wouldn't, if I were you." A familiar voice that made my heart skip a beat sounded near the entrance of the inner interior of the fort. I peered around the giant who'd blocked my path and felt my heart start to pound in my chest as I spotted Captain Vane leaning in the open doorway of the interior of the fort looking sexy as hell in his tight trousers and his deep jade colored cotton shirt that was open enough in the front to reveal enough of his taut chest to make my cheeks redden.

The giant turned and frowned. "Why? She's tiny." His large index finger jabbed me in the chest near my left shoulder rough enough had I not been on guard I'd probably have toppled over. He paused and turned to me as he realized I didn't budge at his violent poke. "Huh?"

"I advise you to stop touching me before you lose your whole fucking arm." I snarled.

"Alira, please do-." Captain Vane attempted to reprimand me but cut off with a sigh as he realized it was useless, I didn't take orders. He turned his attention to the giant instead, "if you're attached to that arm, you may want to do as she says."

The giant looked down at me curiously before pulling his hand away. He frowned once more, "why do you keep the tiny one around? She's a weakn-." The oaf didn't finish his sentence as I let out a roar of rage and barreled into him.

Though he was tall, brawny and strong as hell, he went down hard. There was a loud thundering boom as his massive back smacked into the ground. I landed atop his chest unsheathing one of my many blades as I landed and pressed it against his throat before he'd even realized what had happened.

"Call me tiny one, one more fucking time and I'll gladly send you to your next life." I seethed with rage.

The giant blinked a few times still trying to figure out what had just happened before staring at me incredulously. "Oh, the kitten has claw-." He cut off as I pressed the flat edge of my blade into his throat applying enough pressure to cut off his oxygen supply.

"Don't forget it." I hissed before flipping to my feet gracefully and sheathing my blade.

Captain Vane smirked at my display before extending his hand to me. "Alira, come." His tone was commanding and I saw amusement dancing in his breathtaking oceanic eyes. He was poking fun at me. Testing me to see if I'd submit to him.

I felt compelled to place my hand in his. Something about the dreamy look in his eyes and the way the cotton shirt molded to his gorgeously sculpted body made me want to give in, submit to him. I gulped, feeling nervous and anxious before taking a shaky step toward him. My body moved on its own accord, my hand reaching for his. I snapped back to my senses and swatted his hand away with a growl before shoving past him. Marching off with a determined stride. It was time we had a conversation, he owed me for saving that Guthrie bitch.