Chapter Thirteen

(Alira)

Late in the morning as I was sharpening and polishing my weapons in my tent I heard someone attempting to conceal their steps. They were surefooted and light on their feet but not enough to deceive my senses. "Good Morning, Anne." I called sweetly and heard her trip and curse under her breath.

She stomped around to the entrance of my tent in a foul mood before ducking inside. Her eyes widened as she spotted me wearing the jade corset and the white skirt the girls at the brothel had given me as the rest of my clothes were hanging on a line to dry after a good early morning scrubbing. Once she looked around at all the weapons laid out neatly around me her eyes, if possible, grew even wider.

"How many weapons do you own, Alira?" She asked me in awe as her anger seemed to dissipate as she stared at the various blades, whips, and guns.

"You know, I've never thought to count, I guess it'd be easy for a few to go missing and me not notice." I said with a wink indicating she was welcome to take anything she liked.

Anne smiled at this, "I find it hard to believe you've ever had trouble making friends, you're too nice."

I choked on a laugh at this, "You're the only one under that impression."

"Perhaps you're just nicer to me." She noted, "Why?"

"I think because you're a kindred spirit, you're physically strong and seem unapproachable but deep down your sensitive and your feelings are delicate."

"Are you saying you're delicate, Alira?"

"Yes, but outside of this tent, I will deny it." I giggled. "So, who made you angry?"

Anne plopped onto the ground beside me, careful to avoid my sharpening and polishing supplies. "Jack schemed with that whore and terminated Mrs. Mapelton's contract without even talking to me about it..." The whore she meant was Max who was acting as a Madame of sorts at the brothel since her return from their camp and now it seemed with Mrs. Mapelton out of the way intended to be the new manager of the girls of the brothel. It was a good move for her, she was climbing her way to the top so she could never be taken advantage of again.

"Can I make a comment?"

Anne looked to me curiously and nodded.

"I think, if you gave it a try, you'd really like Max. She's a good friend, especially to those who've experienced great pain and loss in life... So, are you upset because you liked Mrs. Mapelton, because you think Jack has feelings for Max or because you maybe don't understand your own feelings toward Max?" I pondered.

"I don't give a fuck about Mrs. Mapelton." Anne scoffed but didn't make any attempt to respond to the other two.

"Well, I think maybe once you've calmed down and possibly shopped for some new blades at Alira's tent of wonders, you should talk to them both." I smiled.

"Alira's tent of wonders?" She smirked.

"It's a work in progress." I laughed but my laughter fell short as I heard what sounded like heavy cannon fire coming from the fort on the island firing into the bay. "What the fuck?" I scrambled to my feet and peered out my tent as I heard screaming from the other camps as everyone was caught off guard by the gunfire. Anne was at my heels as we moved out of the camp to get a better look in time to see one of the fort's guns hit one of Captain Hornigold's ships in the bay.