Chapter 3/ Journey to The Land of Waves

Chapter 3: Journey to the Land of Waves

The four ninja, plus Tazuna set out of the Leaf village for the Land of Waves, the location of their next mission. They had been walking for roughly a few hours now. During the beginning of their trip, Kakashi explained about the layout of the ninja world and that there were 5 major shinobi nations. Each of those nations had a corresponding Kage that was the leader of the ninja in that nation. However, the Wave Country was a small nation that didn't have any ninja to protect it, although ninja don't normally bother it because of its size. He also explained that it was common for ninja of different countries to encounter one another and do battle as missions between countries tended to interfere with one another.

"Don't worry though" Kakashi reassured. "This is a C-rank mission, which means we won't encounter ninja from other nations." It was at that moment that Kakshi spotted an out of place puddle in the road ahead of them.

As the group passed, two cloaked figures appeared from the puddle. They had claws surrounding their hands with a spiked chain conneting them. Before anyone knew what was happening, the cloaked ninja charged Kakashi, entangling him in their chain. As the two pulled on the chain, Kakashi was instantly ripped to shreds. The three genin stood there horrified. "Kakashi-sensei!" they shouted.

"One down" the enemy ninja said. "Two down." They suddenly appeared behind Naruto. They struck at him with their claws. Naruto was too petrified with fear to move. However, Naruto was spared when sasuke flung a shuriken and kunai at the ninja's chain, pinning it firmly into a tree. Sasuke proceed to deliver a few kicks to the face of the enemy. When they got the chance, the ninja detached their chain, bolting around Naruto and Sasuke. Their target was Tazuna.

Sakura jumped in front of the bridge builder, ready to defend them from the enemy's attack. Before they could strike, Kakashi appeared and knocked the pair to the ground, unconscious but not dead. Everyone realized then that Kakashi had used a substitution when he was attacked. "Naruto, sorry I didn't save you immediately. I didn't think you would freeze like that" Kakashi said to his student.

"Damn it. I couldn't do anything. But Sasuke, it was his first real battle, yet it didn't faze him at all. He saved me."Naruto thought to himself.

"Hey you" Sasuke said to Naruto. "You alright, scaredy cat?" Naruto was getting really pissed at Sasuke's smugness until he realized a wound on his hand.

"Naruto, save it for later" Kakashi said, picking up on the wound as well. "There claws are poisoned. We must open the wound and remove it, or you will die." Kakashi turned his attention to their client. "Tazuna, I need to talk to you. These are Kirigakaru chunin."

The two ninja finally woke to find themselves tied to a tree. "How did you read our movements like that?" one asked.

"On a sunny day like this, when it hasn't rained, there is not going to be a puddle" Kakashi explained. "If I wanted to, I could have killed you, but I needed to know who you were after. Ninja attacking ninja is something we have to deal with, but their target wasn't one of us, right Tazuna?" Everyone turned to the bridge builder. "We haven't heard that there were any ninja after you. We were only hired to protect you from thieves or gangs. This was supposed to be a C-rank mission, but it has now become a B-rank, if not an A-rank. I'm sure you have your reasons, but the mission becomes more complicated when information is left out."

"Sorry, but we aren't ready for this mission. We need to head back and get Naruto some medicine for that wound" Sakura said, a little relieved. Unfortunately for her, Naruto had to open his mouth.

Suddenly, blood splattered to the ground. Naruto had pierced his own hand with a kunai. Everyone looked on in shock. "Naruto! What are you doing?!" Sakura screamed.