Chapter 9/ Strangers in Konoha

Chapter 9: Strangers in Konoha

All around Konoha, the jonin were busy training with their teams. As they heard a bird call in the air, they looked up to see a bird summoning them to the Hokage. They all knew what it was for, but they were surprised that it was this soon that they were being summoned by the Hokage. Any jonin in charge of a genin team, assembled in front of the Hokage for his announcement.

"You've been assembled for only one reason" the Third said. "As most of you have probably realized, it should be obvious by the people here."

"It's already that time." Kakashi said.

"It's already been reported to the other villages. I have seen them enter the village" Genma, a ninja wearing a Leaf bandana with a senbon in his mouth said. "So when is it?"

"Well, I will announce it properly then" Hiruzen said, standing up. "Seven days from now, the chunin selection exams will begin. First we will hear from those supervising the new genin. Asuma, Kakashi, Kurenai, do you recommend any of your team for the chunin selection exams?"

Kakashi stepped forward. "The Kakashi led Team 7, Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno, Sasuke Uchiha, and Haku Yuki…under the name of Hatake Kakashi, I nominate them for the chunin selection exams" Kakashi announced.

"What?!" Iruka called out. He didn't see his former students as ready for this exam.

"The Kurenai Team 8, Hinata Huyga, Kiba Inuzuka, and Shino Aburame…I Kurenai Yuuhi nominate all three of them for the exam" the genjutsu mistress said.

"The Asuma led Team 10, Shikamaru Nara, Ino Yaminaka, and Chouji Akamichi…I Asuma Sarutobi nominate all of them for this exam" Asuma announced.

"Hmm, how rare. All of them" the Hokage said to himself.

"Hold on!" Iruka shouted out. "Hokage-sama, please let me have a word. 9 of these 10 individuals were just recently my students. I know their skills are exceptional, but it is still too early for them to take the exam. They need more experience."

Kakashi stepped forward to defend the nominations. "Iruka, I was a chunin when I was six years younger than Naruto."

"Naruto is different than you" Iruka rebuted. "Are you trying to crush these kids?"

"Crushing them could be fun" Kakashi said. "They are always complaining about missions. I highly doubt that they will even make chunin this time around, but this will still be a good experience for them."

"What?!" Iruka said. "You think this is some game for your entertainment?"

Kakashi laughed a little. "That was just a joke, but stay out of this. They are no longer your students. They are my subordinates." Iruka was shut up.

The ninja with the face paint grabbed Konohamaru by the collar and lifted him up to face-height as Naruto, Sakura, Moegi, and Udon arrived on scene. "Let go of me!" Konohamaru screamed out as Naruto tried to come to his rescue, only to be held back by Sakura.

"Hey, you're almost as annoying as this little brat" the ninja said to Naruto. "I hate midgets. Especially younger ones that are rude. It makes me want to kill them." Naruto and Sakura looked on in shock.

As the ninja wound up for a punch, Naruto ran to save Konohamaru. Before the punch could make contact, the ninja was hit in the face with a rock and a senbon found his hand. Naruto looked up to see Sasuke and Haku on opposite sides of the ally. The ninja dropped Konohamaru.

"What are you bastards doing in our village?" Sasuke called out.

'Hmm, he's kind of handsome' the blonde kunoichi said.