Chapter 6/ Trials

Chapter 6: Trials

It was late in the afternoon in Konoha. Team 8 was finishing up their D-rank missions for the day. Being an Inuzuka, Kiba naturally hated cats. However, after today Kiba was ready to wipe out every cat from the face of the planet. Once again, Tora had managed to escape and as such, the Capture Tora mission was reinstated. This time it was assigned to Team 8. The first time it was assigned to Team 7, the past three times went to Team 10, and it was about time Team 8 got to experience firsthand one of the most frustrating missions in all the five great nations. Kiba had received most of the injuries, with multiple scratch marks all over his face and 'other places'. Unfortunately, Hinata had a mark on the left side of her face from trying to pry the cat off of Kiba before Kurenai could put it under a genjutsu.

Hinata arrived back at the Huyga compound. Like always, her father greeted her with the usual emotionless question of asking how her missions went. However, after seeing the scratch mark on the side of her face, it became obvious exactly which mission she was assigned. Hiashi recalled the time when he was just starting out as a genin. There was always a mission that required a team to capture a renegade cat that belonged to the Fire Lord's wife. The cat's name was Tori, the mother of Tora. If there was any true 'demon spawn' in the village it was that damn cat. Like it was for Hiashi, this mission was considered a rite of passage for newly graduated genin as almost everyone in the village has had to catch Tora or one of her predecessors.

"Hello father" Hinata said, giving her father a quick bow.

"Welcome home Hinata. I would ask you how your missions went today, but I think I already know" Hiashi said to his daughter.

Hinata quickly explained the other mission that they had. Afterwards, Hiashi took Hinata and her sister, Hanabi, into the family dojo for a quick sparring session. Like always, Hanabi had bested Hinata, much to Hiashi's disappointment.

At the Hokage's tower, the Third had just received the mission report from Team 7's most recent C-rank mission. He opened it and began reading. He nearly had a heart attack from what he read:

Lord Hokage,

I am reporting in on the mission 'Escort to the Land of Waves'. The mission was originally assigned a C-rank mission, but was quickly upgraded to a B-rank mission after two Kiri chunin attacked our group. Their target was Tazuna. Despite the encounter, everyone was unharmed and we decided to continue with the mission. I regret to inform you that this was a mistake and we should have canceled the mission. It was then decided to upgrade the mission to an A-rank after we were attacked by the missing ninja Zabuza Momochi and an accomplice disguised as a Kiri hunter ninja. Naruto and Sasuke proved to be invaluable in that attack as Zabuza and his accomplice was forced to retreat. For the next week, my team was stationed on guard duty. The following day, Zabuza and his accomplice reappeared. Our team engaged them and fought until the fight was interrupted by Gato and his subordinates. Gato has been controlling the shipping and economy of the nation, effectively controlling it and its people through oppression and fear. As a result, they revealed their intentions to kill all of us, including Zabuza and his accomplice, Haku. However, with the help of Zabuza and Haku, Gato was quickly killed and his subordinates scattered. By the time you read this, the bridge that Tazuna was charged to build should be completed or within a day of completion. I have been informed that a representative of the Land of Waves will be traveling to Konoha and the Land of Fire capitol to arrange trade agreements as an attempt to repair the economy of the Land of Waves and thank us for our intervention.

I also have a rather odd request coming from Zabuza and Haku. It appears as if the two of them have experienced a change of heart, thanks to their encounter with Naruto. The two of them are requesting an opportunity to join Konoha as ninja. While I normally would disregard such a request, I have reason to believe that they are sincere with their words. Haku also possesses a rare bloodline, the Hyoton, which may prove an invaluable addition for the village. Zabuza has informed me that he is willing to undergo any mental interrogation or trials that would be required for him to prove his intentions to join the village.