Chapter 5/ Awakening

Chapter 5: Awakenings

Sasuke had begun his battle with the masked ninja as the two assaulted each other with a hail of senbon and shuriken. None of the shuriken or senbon hit their target as they had all collided with one another in mid air, canceling the attacks. As the air began to grow moist, so did the ground. Puddles began to form around the two combatants. The masked ninja halted his attack and began to speak.

"I don't want to kill you, but you won't stand down will you?" the masked ninja said to Sasuke, who responded with his usual response. "I see, but you won't be able to keep up with my speed the next time." The ninja began flipping through a series of hand seals and Sasuke rushed towards him, hoping to stop him before he completed some sort of jutsu. Unfortunately, he realized the trap the moment he grabbed onto the arm of the ninja. "Now that I have one of your arms preoccupied, you won't be able to counter this. Suiton: Flying Water Needles!"

With that, the water around them began to rise, forming sharp needles of water. Sasuke channeled some chakra to his legs and jumped up before the needles could impact him. He then retaliated by throwing some shuriken at the masked ninja, who had just barely dodged them. Sasuke then appeared behind the ninja and sent him flying back with a kick to the stomach, much to Zabuza's surprise.

Kakashi turned to Zabuza. "I can't have you underestimating my students by calling them 'brats'" Kakashi explained. "Sasuke is the #1 rookie in the village, Sakura is the brightest, and Naruto is well, Naruto, the #1 hyperactive knuckleheaded ninja in the village."

"Hmph, just because your brat scored one lucky hit, doesn't mean he can take Haku" said Zabuza to Kakashi. "He's just getting started and it looks like it's all over for your brat now."

Sasuke felt a sudden chil surround him. "Hyoton: Demonic Ice Mirrors!" Haku called out. Sasuke was shocked that he was now surrounded by a dome of ice mirrors, with Haku's reflection in each one. He tried to figue out what that jutsu was, but he did not remember the 'hyoton' being one of the common elemental affinities.

"So he has a bloodlimit, this will get interesting" thought Sasuke. However, in reality, he was extremely tense, not sure what to expect at all.

"Now I'll show you my real speed" Haku said. Suddenly, Sasuke was hit with a barrage of needles, none of which severely injured him, this time around. Seeing Sasuke's troubles, Sakura ran to aid him, temporarily abandoning her charge. She threw a kunai at Haku, who came out of the mirror only to catch it. Suddenly, he was knocked onto the ground outside the mirrors.

"Naruto Uzumaki has arrived!" Naruto shouted.

'That idiot show off' Sasuke thought as he picked himself off the ground. He was covered in scratches and cuts from the needles, but nothing was fatal, yet.

"Now that I'm here, the hero usually shows up like this and kicks the enemy's ass instantly!" Naruto exclaimed.

'That idiot' Kakashi said. Zabuza got a little laugh at Kakashi's facial expression. 'What kind of ninja does he think he is, barging in like that?'

Naruto threw a few shuriken at the distracted Zabuza, only to have them knocked away by Haku's needles. "Hmm, so you don't want me attacking them? You're soft as always, Haku" Zabuza said to his comrade. Sasuke realized the situation he was in. Apparently, Haku had been holding back. None of those hits were vital, only mere scratches so far. However, after the way he 'killed' Zabuza back by the lake, Sasuke realized that this ninja had deadly accuracy with senbon and he had been holding back.

Now that Naruto had arrived though, perhaps Sasuke could get out of this. With the dobe working on the outside and himself on the inside, perhaps they could take down Haku. Sadly, he would have to swallow his pride for this and allow Naruto to help him…assuming Naruto hadn't done what he just did.