Chapter 3

Nana found herself walking along the snowy shores. The biting snow digging into the soles of her feet but she didn't feel a thing. The sounds of crashing waves brought her gaze up to the setting sun and sighed. She wondered how long she had been outside her warm home for, avoiding Mihawk. His words rattled her to the core. "Foolish man." She tightened her fists as his words kept repeating through her mind. "He doesn't understand the consequences." Nana watched as the sun set as her hair blew freely in the arctic winds. The cold engulfed her bare frame though as always she didn't let it bother her in the slightest. She watched as the skies bleed red before fading to black. The stars barely visible through the snow clouds. Nana hummed a soft tune as she continued her way down the shore. "Little boy, little boy why won't you sleep?" She sung lightly, closing her eyes as she slowed down her pace. "Mama's here, mama's here to sing you to sleep. Once your rise and open your eyes, mama's love will fill you up." Nana paused once she felt a heavy material cover her shoulders and opened her eyes. Seeing the burning gaze of Mihawk stare down at her.

Mihawk kept silent as he tied his cape around the cold woman. The redhead didn't even know that she was shivering and becoming pale. Once he securely had his cape in place around her, Mihawk gently picked her up in his arms. "You're so reckless." He scolded, stiffening when she moved closer to him and his body heat. "You've been in the snow for almost a week."

Nana leaned her head against Mihawk's chest. "You're an idiot."

"Not in this situation. You've made the tiger worry too much that I've been dealt to find you and bring you back." Mihawk gripped the woman tighter and ignored her groan of pain. He immediately recognised the lingering bruises, healing cuts, and dried blood on her body. The work of a punishing training regimen. Had he arrived a second later he wouldn't have noticed her condition and she would continue, stop, heal, and continue. "Where did you learn that song?" He questioned.

"I made it up," Nana replied, her eyes clouding over in memory. "It helped him sleep whenever I sang this song to him and ran my fingers through his hair." She closed her eyes and welcomed the memories this time. Filling her mind with the sweet voices. "Father was always busy and gave the boys to me to raise." She chuckled bitterly, "I was far from fit to raise children. I wasn't the person I am now."

"Your brothers?" Mihawk asked and looked down at her calm face. He didn't expect to see her look at peace, especially in his arms.

Nana hummed and opened her eyes, looking into Mihawk's curious gaze. "Somewhat. After I ate the devil fruit, I became extremely violent and manipulative, y'know. I used to enjoy tormenting people and making them suffer. I was filled with so much hatred." She heard Mihawk hum for her continue and wrapped her arms around his shoulders and looked forward. "Father was the only one able to keep me on solid ground. I didn't know what being at peace meant till I became attached to those boys and in time I was able to control the demon within me."

"You don't seem like the violent type. Strong I can see but not violent." Mihawk offered, "You placed those boys in danger and went on a rampage."

"I did." Nana nodded, "I watched one of them die and I lost all control I had. I left them to keep them safe."

"Do you miss your family?"

"Every day," Nana muttered. Clutching tightly onto his collar. "How about you? What's your family history?"

"Orphaned." He said plainly and left it at that. "Nana, is it so bad to have a companion?"

The redhead stiffened and pushed out, "Never ask to be a demon's companion, Shichibukai-sama." Nana shuffled herself out of Mihawk's arms and attempted to hand back his cloak when his hands landed on top of hers.