2

Mason choked on his wine as Sarina gasped in shock.

They looked at each other wide eyed and then Sarina glared at her father.

"You can't do this!" She yelled as she scraped her chair back to stand.

"Sarina, sit down!" Malcolm boomed at her, making Sarina flinch.

Sarina went to comply but that was her final straw. "No." She lifted her head and stood away from the table. "I'm very sorry," She said to the guests then turned back to her father. "Excuse me."

"Absolutely not." Malcolm trembled as he spoke, but Sarina had left the room.

"What is the meaning of this, father?" Mason seethed at his old man.

"It's quite simple. I gave you your party life that you requested. Now it's time to settle down, have a family and think about the family business." Mr Hunter finished as he turned to Malcolm. "Come Malcolm, we'll finish this in the study, shall we?"

Malcolm nodded at the gesture. "Oh yes! Some brandy too." Both the older gentlemen stood and left the room, Malcolm leading Mr Hunter to the study.

"Mum?"

Mrs Hunter turned to her son. "You knew this was coming, there's nothing I can do. I can no longer watch you squander your birth right. Like your father said, he gave you space. It's now time to grow up. You are twenty two years old. It's time."

Mason sunk in to his chair. Marriage. It was the one thing he had been avoiding since he turned eighteen. Now he was in a locked business contract and obligated to wed Sarina Lopez.

Mrs Hunter excused herself, telling her son she shall be back soon with the men. But instead of going to the study, Mrs Hunter wondered upstairs, looking for Sarina.

She noticed a maid leaving a room and called to her. "Excuse me?"

The maid turned to her, looking surprised she had been spoken to. "Yes, ma'am?"

"I'm trying to find Sarina. Do you know where she went?"

The maid froze for a minute, before giving Mrs Hunter her answer. "The second door on the left."

"Thank you." Mrs Hunter walked up to the door and knocked a couple times.

"Come in." Came the sad voice from the other side.

Mrs Hunter walked in to the bedroom, gently closing the door behind her. When Sarina saw it was Mrs Hunter and not Ginny, she quickly brushed the tears away and standing up.

"Mrs Hunter! I'm so sorry for what happened." Sarina said, her voice wavered.

Mrs Hunter waved her hand. "Nonsense." Came her first word as she sat on the end of Sarina's bed, patting the spot next to her for Sarina to sit.

"I know those feelings and they are natural. We agreed for this for my son too, and I believe he needs to settle down. But we never expected your reaction." Mrs Hunter said as Sarina sat next to her. "Your father had told us you were desperate for a marriage."

Sarina gasped. "I'm not desperate for a marriage! I'm desperate for -" Sarina stopped herself short, not letting that last word out. Mrs Hunter looked at Sarina, waiting for Sarina to finish, but she didn't.

"I can see that you like to read?" Mrs Hunter started a different approach as she took Sarina's hand. "How wise you must be."

Sarina looked at the older woman, a genuine smile on her face. "Thank you."

"Why are you so passionate about books?"

Sarina looked in to the lady's eyes. They were so inviting and kind. "They have a better reality then here." Sarina answered honestly.