29

The day of the ultrasound came. Mason rushed home from work to pick up Sarina. They went to a private clinic and sat in the waiting room.

The tension between the pair were still there, but it was breaking down faster now that they had a good talk the other night. Even faster then when they were just screwing each other.

Sarina laid on the bed and rolled her shirt up. She had a tiny bump, but it wasn't noticeable when she laid down. The sonographer applied cold gel to Sarina's stomach and waved a little machine over her belly, spreading the gel everywhere.

The screen was visible for Sarina and Mason to see, but they couldn't understand the shapes and lines. The lady went around pointing out the babies legs and then move slightly to the babies arms. She measured the length of the bub.

"Is it too early to tell the sex?" Mason asked.

"Yes. Baby is curling up. There is next to no chance to look to see what they have. Even if I could see, there is a chance I'm wrong because the baby is still forming."

Mason sat back as he accepted the answer.

"We're an eager dad."

Sarina spoke then. "He wants me to start on the nursery, but I don't know what colour to go yet."

The nurse pushed some buttons and the screen zoomed out. Smiling she turned to see Sarina's face. "There's the heart beat. And this is your baby."

The room silenced then they heard it. A heart beat. Sarina gasped as tears sprung to her eyes and she took Mason's hand.

"There's our baby." Mason whispered in wonder as their eyes didn't leave the television screen.

"Yes. He or she is about six centimetres long."

Sarina laughed. "Really?"

"Yes Mrs Hunter." The lady stood up. "I'll give you a few minutes before we pack up."

Sarina squeezed Mason's hand as she looked at him, happiness in her eyes. "That's our baby." She repeated back to Mason.

Mason smiled broadly as he kissed Sarina. She drew her attention to the picture again. That tiny little being was as nearly as big as her thumb.

Sarina and Mason left the private practice, holding hands and smiling, looking at the picture that got printed out.

They went home on a high, Sarina still amazed by the photo. "This is what is inside of me." She smiled as Mason looked on proudly as he left again to go back to work.

That was all the push Sarina needed to get started on the nursery. She got Phil to drive her to shops, she purchased large items like the the change table, the cot, a rocking chair and a dresser. Sarina organised it all to be delivered on a Saturday, paying extra for the delivery fees.

Mason left his laptop behind and Sarina, after a few repeating lessons from May's daughter, Susannah, on how to shop online. After Sarina got the hang of it, she scoured the internet.

"No!" Susannah wailed as Sarina laughed.

"What?"

Susannah placed her soda down and pointed to the screen. "That outfit is so cute, but why pay eighty dollars for that and a beanie when Target sells the same for thirty dollars."

Sarina looked at Susannah. "Seriously?"

Susannah laughed. "Yes! Look, I've got to go, but we need a shopping day!" Sarina agreed as she looked back at the screen.

"Target?" She said to herself as she typed it into the google screen. Her world just opened even more as she went deeper. Mason had given her a budget and Sarina blew it the first day.