16

Dr Young left that afternoon making Sarina feel a bit empty. She saw the room around her darken from the lack of daylight as she chewed at her thoughts.

Dr Young and Sarina chatted for over two hours and it made Sarina feel slightly better. After their chat, the doctor prescribed Sarina some medication for anxiety and left the room.

She spoke about her father, a topic she originally didn't wish to talk about. After a few minutes to herself, Sarina got up and went to the dining room for her dinner. Mason joined shortly after.

"Mason?" Sarina broke the silence between them as she carved into her steak.

Mason looked at Sarina, liking the fact that she wasn't only calling him by his name but initiating a conversation as well.

"I wouldn't usually ask, but I know you know people in high places."

Mason wasn't sure where she was going with this. "Yes."

"Can you please get someone to do me a favour?"

"What would that be?" Mason asked as he placed his cutlery down, intrigued in Sarina's question.

Sarina hesitated at first, feeling quite embarrassed with it. "I don't remember my mother." Looking down at her food, she felt suddenly self conscious. "I was wondering, if someone you know could dig up some photos...? Anything that I can mentally paint a picture. I don't know what she looked like."

Sarina looked up at Mason and saw his kind smile.

"I know it's asking a lot, and technology wasn't as advanced 15 years ago."

Sarina started rambling on.

"Of course." Mason smiled, stopping Sarina from talking.

"You will?" Her eyes lit up with hope. Mason nodded.

"I'll call, someone tomorrow."

Sarina's smile got wider. "Thank you." She excused herself and went upstairs. Mason stared at her plate. She ate most of her dinner.

Slow and steady, he told himself. One step at a time.

Sarina kept an eye on the time as she kept glancing nervously at her phone. It was nearly 10pm and while she kept her bedroom door open, she was trying to catch Mason go past.

Sarina took an extra long shower, scrubbing herself and hair after dinner and spent an hour drying it before getting comfortable in her sofa.

May brought up a cup of tea around eight before leaving for the night and now the cup empty, Sarina felt her lids drop heavily.

Just as she jerked herself awake, she saw Mason at her door.

"Are you going to bed?"

Mason ran a hand down his tired face. "Yeah. I thought I would check on you first. You look like your falling asleep there. Go get into bed." He spoke softly to her.

Sarina stood up and pulled her glasses off, placing them and her book on the small table. Her long dressing gown followed her steps as she walked up to Mason.

Mason stared at her in slight confusion.

Sarina took his hand and guided him to his room. "Let's go to bed."

Sarina pulled back the heavy blanket on Mason's bed and took her gown off, leaving her with a short nightie on.

"What are you doing?" Mason asked in disbelief.

"Getting into bed." Sarina sunk into the mattress as she slid down into its soft feel. "Or do you want me to leave?" She pointed to the door. Her heart thumped in her chest, she was taking a huge risk here and she didn't know if she could handle the rejection.