Chapter Ten - Logical

Leah stood still as she stared at the spot where Jared had been. The reality of what she'd just let happened was sinking in and it made her want to curl up into a ball and cry.

Her attraction to Jared was supposed to be fleeting, easily extinguishable, but she was beginning to realise that instead it had grown, tangled with guilt and anger, into a dangerous fascination – one that would likely get her killed. The moment he'd appeared had been like the drop of a match. She hadn't realised how smothered in tinder she'd been until it'd all burst into flames.

Swallowing down her panic, Leah closed her eyes, trying to calm her heart as she projected the faces of Seth, Tai and Riley onto the darkness of her eyelids. She let her mind wander around her body until she found that tiny pulse right in the centre of her. She reached out to it and that slow suction began again.

Take me back, she commanded.

First there was nothing, and then it rushed out of her and she was flung into a weightless, breathless hurricane. Just when she thought her lungs would burst, it stopped.

She was back in the clearing behind the house, the smell of damp grass and wood prominent once more. For a moment, she didn't move, trying to rein in the chaos inside her. Jared was still curling through her system like poison, undoing all the progress she thought she'd made, all the distance she'd put between them. Now he'd be able to find her whenever he wanted, now anyone near her would be in danger.

"Leah!" The voice was tainted with relief and Leah turned to find Tai and a guard, both heavily armed, standing at the back door to the house.

Tai turned to the guard.

"Told you," he said. "Pay up."

The guard handed Tai a $50 before moving back inside and Leah eyed the money as she walked towards him.

"I don't even want to know," she muttered.

Tai raised his arm to lean against the frame, blocking the doorway, and Leah glanced away.

"Tai, move. I need to talk to –"

She cut off when his hand came to her chin, lifting her gaze to his. His eyes were dark, sympathy rising in them as he saw the exhaustion painted across her face.

"What happened?"

Leah closed her eyes and took a breath. "Nothing. Jared got away."

Tai stared at her, and she could tell he knew there were things she wasn't saying. His eyes swept over her body, looking for any injuries.

"Don't tell any of the guards that," he said. "I bet them you'd kick his ass."

Leah gave him a tired smile, relieved he hadn't pressed for more. "You might have to give that $50 back with interest then."

Tai's hand dropped from the door frame.

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't repeat that," he said as they walked inside.

"Is Zarah still here?" Leah asked.

Tai raised a questioning eyebrow. "Who?"

"The girl who appeared with Jared."

"No, she vanished when you did."

Leah was about to reply when she jerked to a stop. They'd reached the living room and found half the S.I.S crammed in there. Everyone spun to face them and Sophie stood, her eyes on Leah.