Chapter Thirty - Familiar

The moment Jared's feet landed, crunching against the familiar gravel road that led to the house he'd lived in his entire life, he felt something cold and detached clench around his heart, locking in tight.

He pushed Tai and Marco in front of him, leading them up the hill and shoving the butt of his gun between Tai's shoulder blades.

He was surprised at how right it felt to be here; to have two S.I.S members chained up in front of him, heads down and bruises purpling their skin, even if this time they were fake. It was seductive, reassuring, everything he'd been for so many years.

Ironic, considering what he was about to do.

He gave Tai another jab in the back for good measure and when Tai glanced back Jared knew the anger that sheened his eyes wasn't entirely for show.

"Watch it," Tai muttered under his breath.

Jared glared. "You're my prisoner remember. Act like it."

He gave Tai another shove and an almost imperceptible snarl curled up the corner of Tai's mouth, but instead of lashing out, Tai turned around, trudging up the hill, shoulder to shoulder with Marco.

Jared was almost disappointed.

There was a chilling anger crystallising inside him, becoming hard and unmovable, and though he knew it had nothing to do with Tai, it didn't make him any less of a target for it, particularly when he kept insisting on putting his arm around Leah every bloody chance he got.

Jared teeth clenched and he shook the thought away. Now was not the time to think of Leah. Not when the roof of his house was beginning to peak over the curve of the hill in front of them. Not when he was about to walk straight into the heart of his troubles.

Tai and Marco slowed as they approached his childhood home, both their faces closing off and filling with an impressive amount of hostility and hatred. They were only meters away when Marco shifted back slightly, speaking under his breath, his lips barely moving.

"Remember our orders, Caldwell," he muttered. "Don't do anything stupid. We'll take you down if you do."

Jared's eyes flashed, his mouth twitching as he tried to bite down the frustration those words coaxed.

I'm helping you! He wanted to scream. Why can't you people see that?

But before he could reply, the door swung open and Jared looked up to find Evans standing there. He was blinking rapidly, his irises contracting in the bright light, wide and shocked, and for a moment, Jared wanted to back out. He wanted to grab Tai and Marco and run back the way they'd come.

Because Evans wasn't supposed to have been here. Not today. Not when there was a chance Jared might have to hurt him.

"Come inside," Evans said quickly, moving backwards and gesturing the three of them in behind him.

Jared's heart was in his throat as he pushed Tai and Marco up the steps and followed, shutting the door as he went.

"Okay, you S.I.S trash," he said, trying to force as much venom into his voice as was possible. "You try anything and –"

Jared cut off with a grunt of surprise when Evans grabbed him and crushed him into a hug.

"Jared, you little shit," Evans hissed, shaking Jared roughly before pulling back and staring at him with a furious mix of anger and relief. "Where the hell have you been the last two weeks? We all thought you were dead!"

Jared glanced away, guilt flooding him.

Evans had never been a good liar, and the genuine concern that coated his expression was just too damned honest for even Jared to question it.

Ever since he'd woken up handcuffed to the S.I.S's bed, he hadn't been sure whether Parker's actions had been planned by the rebels at large, or whether it had been kept a secret.

Now he had his answer. Evans hadn't known anything about it. And Jared found that equally relieving and distressing. Because it wouldn't change anything. Not anymore.

Jared cleared his throat.

"I thought I was too," he said. "For a while."

Evans just continued to stare at him, and Jared's guilt started roaring. Desperate to get the attention off himself, he shifted towards the two S.I.S members and tugged them forward. Marco let out a convincing grunt of pain as the handcuffs cut into his skin.

"I have a present for Brenton," Jared said. "A peace offering."

Evans just stared at him.

"Jared," he said eventually, his voice exhausted. "What the hell happened? Why do you think you need to bring a peace offering?"

Jared's teeth clenched as frustration flooded him. He knew what had happened wasn't Evans' fault, but he couldn't help but force some of the blame on him. Surely he'd heard snippets of conversations, echoes of words from behind closed doors that he'd ignored or discarded.

"Parker happened, that's what," Jared snapped, letting some of his anger show. "He tried to kill me, so I killed him. Now, take me to Brenton so I can sort this out."

Evans balked, his face going white. "What? Jared, surely –"

"Is Brenton here or not?" Jared screamed suddenly, the words like a thunder clap.

For a moment, everyone was shocked into silence.

Evans was staring at him, hurt and confusion crossing his face, but Jared ignored it. He didn't have time for Evans to rationalise things, to try and convince him he must be mistaken. Those stages of denial were well past him now.

"Yes," Evans said eventually, glancing between Jared and the S.I.S members. As he took them in, his eyes darkened in recognition and his face closed off. "Yes, he is. Follow me."

Jared let out a silent sigh of relief as Evans turned away, making his way up the stairs.

Jared turned to the others to find Tai's eyebrow raised, his eyes swirling with questions, and Jared let a snarl curl up his lips, his eyes flashing with warning. But before he could lash out again, Tai frowned and turned away, following Evans up the stairs.

Marco moved a second later, hanging his head hung in a perfect imitation of a defeated hostage and it almost made Jared feel sick. All this pretending. All these secrets.

Evans led them deeper into the house, weaving past groups of soldiers towards Brenton's study. Tai and Marco were furtively glancing up from between their lashes, counting the number of men stationed in the corridors, but Jared couldn't really bring himself to care.

As they reached Brenton's study, Evans stopped, waiting for Jared to draw level with him. His brow furrowed, his face closed off and painted with worry.

"Be gentle with him, Jared," he said quietly. "I don't know what happened, but remember, he thought you were dead too."

Jared's heart rioted, kicking viciously against his ribs.

"Hoped," Jared corrected, his voice flat. "He hoped I was dead."

And then he shoved past and threw the door open, praying that Leah and Riley weren't too far off.

...

Hey everyone :)

Sorry this chapters a little bit late! I've been a bit distracted this past few weeks. Does anyone else have periods like that where they just can't focus on anything? haha. 

Anyway, this one is dedicated to @XXLittleQueenXX! Thank you for all your votes!

Next chapter out in two weeks.

Until then,

Skylar xx