Chapter Thirty Five - Raise the Dead

Recap:

The S.I.S has sent soldiers, including Leah, Jared, Tai, Riley and Marco, to Jared's old house in an attempt to steal back the knife capable of killing Seth.

Jared, Tai and Marco were sent to distract Brenton so Leah and Riley could steal the knife. Their task did not go as planned: Marco has been killed, Tai tied up and Jared shot by Brenton after he figured out what they were attempting to do.

Leah and Riley are also struggling. On the way to Jared's house, while in the world of the dead, Riley was shot by Arelie and has stayed behind. Leah made it to the house, but when she searched Brenton's study, she could not find the knife. In Jared's POV, it is revealed the knife is with Brenton.

End of the most recent chapter:

"Jared!"

Tai's shout of warning came at the same time as the bullet did. Jared felt it rip through his spine, tearing through muscle and bone and embedding itself somewhere deep in his lungs.

He collapsed instantly, a muffled scream tearing its way up his throat, gurgled with blood. He could see Tai beginning to jerk above him, trying to wrench his handcuffs off the very real holster Jared had just hooked them up to, but then Jared's vision was shifting, his body being rolled over.

Jared let out a groan, his vision becoming hazy as Brenton's face appeared above him, his expression thunderous with hurt and rage.

Jared tried to scramble away, to do something, anything, but his body wasn't obeying his commands. The bullet had ripped through something critical, he could feel it, could feel the numbness crawling up his legs.

"You know I really wanted to believe you, Jared," Brenton said softly. "I really did. But even I can't believe that it's a coincidence that you pulled me away from my study moments before my heat sensors picked up an intruder in there."

Jared's mind flared with panic and he tried to move away, to lift himself up, but Brenton pressed down on his shoulders, forcing him back to the ground. Tai was still jerking above them, shrieks of metal on metal accompanying his every attempt to get free.

"When did you get heat sensors?" Jared gasped.

Brenton smiled down at him. "About the same time you disappeared. And you!" Brenton directed his gaze back to Tai, his gaze furious. "Stop making that racket otherwise you'll both be dead by the end of the day."

"You... you can't kill me," Jared ground out. "I can't die."

Jared only got a second of warning, the smallest shift in Brenton's expression, before his head was being wrenched up and then smashed back down against the ground.

Jared let out a low groan, his head spinning, the back of his skull becoming warm and wet. The sensation tickled, spreading down to his neck.

"That's where you're wrong, Jared," Brenton said. "Everyone can die."

Jared's vision was hazy, his mind spinning, but as Brenton spoke, Jared could've sworn he saw his father reach into his pocket and pull out a knife, one with a blade of swirling, faceted glass. One that was instantly, terribly familiar. One that was meant to be in Brenton's study right now for Leah to find.

Brenton grabbed the back of Jared's head, cradling it almost gently as he held the blade up, hovering it above Jared's heart.

"Even you," Brenton said softly. "Even if that means I have to keep killing you over and over again. Hopefully this knife will mean I won't have to do that though. If it can kill the Mors Mortis Device I'm sure it'll make quick work of you."