Chapter Twelve - Dark Matter

Leah sat next to Tai in the backseat of a black out car as Andrew weaved through Sydney's midday traffic towards Newtown. They'd only been in Sydney for one day, landing late and moving into the safe house under the cover of darkness. They'd spent hours last night going over the defence procedures for the large house, and Leah had only fallen into bed at 3am, her exhaustion deep enough that the presence of a guard in the corner didn't bother her the way it usually would.

She'd hoped to get a decent sleep, and yet Riley had woken her with the sun, chasing away her sleep-deprived grumbles with a quick explanation that they were going to see Maud Malum, or the hedge witch from hell, as Riley fondly named her; and Leah had spent the entire ride tapping her nails agitatedly against the armrest.

Her heart was pounding so viciously and she wasn't entirely sure why. She'd talked about her link to the dead before without any problems, and yet a deep unease was coursing through her, building like a dam about to burst.

"Please!" Tai exclaimed suddenly, ripping Leah's hand away from the armrest. "Please, stop the tapping."

"Amen to that," Riley seconded, spinning around from her position in the passenger seat to eye Leah.

"Sorry," Leah mumbled, pulling her hand from Tai's and concentrating on keeping it still.

The inactivity only heightened her anxiety though. She was so enveloped in it that she didn't notice the concerned glances Tai and Riley shot one another. In fact, she didn't notice much of anything until she was standing at Maud's front door, staring at it with a strange foreboding.

She was about to raise her hand and knock when Tai grabbed her arm and gently turned her to face him.

He eyed her for a moment before pulling her into an unexpected hug. The top of her head barely came to his chest and Leah froze in surprise, suddenly feeling very small and safe.

"No matter what she says, nothing's going to change. You know that, right?" he said, his words rumbling against her cheek. The S.I.S aren't going to try send you away again."

Leah blinked, his words lifting a weight off her chest she hadn't even realised was there, making her panic ebb until it just niggled the back of her mind.

She pulled back and looked up at him.

"You're scarily intuitive," she muttered and Tai grinned.

"Not really," he said. "I just know you. You might not remember everything from before, but I do. You're a hard person to forget, Leah Azemar."

She heard his words with her nerve endings and her cheeks flamed a bright red. There was something about Tai that made an uncharacteristic vulnerability simmer inside her. He was the sort of person that made you feel seen, even when you didn't realise you wanted to be. She wasn't sure if it warmed or frightened her.

"Just relax," he said gently. "Whatever she says, we'll work through it."

"Okay," Leah said, her voice shaky, and Tai gave her an easy grin.

"I'll be right out here if you need me."

Leah nodded and, before she could work herself up again, barged through the door and let it fall closed behind her.

The room beyond was lit only by lanterns hung from the ceiling, with bookshelves lining the walls and sheer fabric drapes guarding the doors. Maud Malum was seated in a longue chair in the centre of the room, beside a coffee table hosting incense candles.

"Welcome," she said, unphased by Leah's hasty entrance. "Please sit."

Her voice was hypnotic, calming, and Leah drew closer, sinking into a couch opposite her.