19 | First Day Trouble

First Day Trouble

I hesitantly slide the key into the keyhole, churning it as the lock unlocks with a soft click. I gently push open the door and step into my apartment. The place is dark with only a soft light coming from the kitchen. I shut the door behind me and lock it, placing my keys on one of the hooks beside the door along with my black coat.

I step further into the apartment, studying it like an unfamiliar space which how it was to me. Last I saw it I was a different person and didn't care about the place, just liked the idea of having Klaus being forced to do something for me.

My steps halt at the sight of Aiden laying on the grey coach, his body too long for the space with his legs dangling from the couch's armrest. His right arm is placed on his forehead with his other hand on his stomach. Soft tired snores escaped his lips and guilt overwhelmed as I stared at him, just now noticing his tired state. The dark bags under his eyes, his messed up hair, and the suit he still had on from prom; only now without the tie or the blazer.

I took notice of the empty mug, traces of black coffee on the inside, while an empty coffee pot sits beside it. I slowly sit down on the loveseat across from him, my eyes studying him as memories of the past play in my mind like a movie.

Aiden was the only one who kept up with my bullshit attitude and stayed around, and all I did was treat him like trash. The guilt was there and part of me thinks I deserve to feel it, it's a reminder of how bad a person I was. But I wanted to make up to all my mistakes, to right my wrongs.

It was overwhelming me just staring at him, so I got up and grab the white cotton blanket from behind me and draped it across his lower body.

I move to the stairs and climb up to my room, shutting the door quietly behind me. I turn on the lights and a small smile lights up my face at the sight of my beloved bed. The only think I look forward everyday, to just lay down in the soft comfort of it.

After reuniting with my bed, I get up to change into more comforting clothes. Since an hour ago I had already showered for a second time at the Salvatore house after our fun time at the lake, I figured I was already clean and should only change. I changed into a pair of cotton shorts and a soft oversized shirt, pulling on some cotton high knee socks.

Suddenly there were loud hits on the floor like someone was running up the stairs. I paused for a second, my body alarmed and preparing to pounce but then the door was slammed open and Aiden appeared with a frenzy look, his eyes roaming around the room until they landed on me.

I got up, concerned. "Aiden - "

His body crashed into mine before I could form my words, his arms encasing me tightly and it took me a second to react and hug him back.

"I know hugs aren't your thing but," he pulled away to look at me, but closed his mouth as he looked at my arms which were still around his waist. "oh my god, are you okay?"

I chuckle and unwrap my hands from around him, and instead grasp his hands into mine.

"Aiden," I sigh, "I don't really know how to say this...but Damon and Stefan helped me turn my humanity back on, well not really help but they did it."

"What?" he asks, his face shocked.

"Yeah," I gulp, "I'm back. I guess."