Chapter-3

"There are two sides to this world. One is logical, the one normal people can see and explain, either through mathematical equations or some arbitrary theory. Anything beyond our explanation is hidden on the other side. Me and other wizards are part of a community that learns to deal with this other side."

Seema listened to him with all of her attention. If she paid this much attention in her class, she would have secured a higher grade. Mr Kumar was stirring the tea pot with all calmness, finally pouring one cup for him and another for Seema. He placed the steaming hot cup in front of her as he sat beside her on the sofa.

"I have a brother, he is also a wizard but he deals with more darker stuff."

"Like what?" she placed the hot cup on her lips and sipped, immediately regretting her decision.

"It's hot," Mr Kumar chuckled, seeing her burn her tongue. "Anyway, like I was saying...My brother and I grew up in Himachal. We belonged to a family that practiced the art of mystical abilities."

"What?" Seema exclaimed.

"Wait now, it's not as bad as it sounds. We don't harm anyone. At Least, I didn't. But my brother was...is different. After I moved out of my community and started doing my own thing, my brother retreated in the deeper parts of the Himalyan range and explored his dark magic."

"Your brother hurts people?"

"Not exactly but he can. He mostly hunts demons."

Seema froze mid way drinking her tea. "Demons." she whispered in a little voice. The word alone made her shiver. She had heard of demons on TV and books and none of them were nice.

"There is a small community living in the valleys of Himalaya. They asked for my brother's help when they realised one of their tribe women was pregnant with a Incubus child."

He had all of Seema's attention now.

"We thought Incubuses were extinct, the last one was seen by one of our grandfathers in the sunderbans. Incubuses are one of the most powerful demon species. They can possess the minds and bodies of women and men alike."

"What did your brother do?" Seema pulled up her leg and folded them Indian style, scared that some demon would grab it from under the sofa. Outside, Mr. Kumar's backyard was lit by moonlight, creating long shadows.

"He offered to take away the Incubus child after it was born."

"Away from the mother?" Demon or not, taking away a child from its mother was cruel.

"Yes. He had his own motives. He promised the tribe's chief that he would kill the demon but he kept it captive."

"Why?" Seema asked, curious about his brother's motives.

"Incubus are one of the most beautiful and elegant creatures in existence. They are dark dwellers who can feed on sexual powers. They can distort memories and play tricks on your mind. That is how they lure people into doing things they would never do."

"Was your brother using him to trick people?"

"No. He was saving him for something more sinister." Mr Kumar took the empty cups and placed them on the wash basin. Turning around he leaned on the counter and sighed. "Vittal wants to be immortal."

Seema thought nothing could surprise her more but she was clearly wrong.

"Consuming an adult Incubus's heart during a lunar eclipse can make you immortal."

"That is bullshit," Seema spat. She couldn't deny it as a superstition when this whole situation was crazy but killing someone and eating them to become immortal is psychopathic. "Your brother should be in prison."