Chapter-6

Seema didn't go back to Mr Kumar's house for the next five days. Did she feel bad about it? Absolutely, she did. But she couldn't find the courage to go back, especially without the ring.

Two days later when Seema came home from school, she found Mr Kumar standing in her living room, glaring at her.

"You came back?" Seema squealed.

"You didn't follow the rules," He accused.

"I did," Seema whined. "Almost." she said the last part in a whisper. Her mother wasn't around, thank god for that.

"Don't lie." Mr. Kumar yelled, making her flinch. "You know what, It was my fault. I shouldn't have trusted a seventeen year old for this job."

Seema was hurt even though he was right.

"Can I have my ring back?" he asked, placing one hand on his hips and taking the other out palm side up.

"I..." she stammered, "I lost it."

"You did what?"

"It was loose. I couldn't keep it on..."

Mr Kumar paced her living room, placing a palm on his forehead.

"Okay," He grumbled, "Alright." He turned around and left her house.

She disappointed yet another person, she really was useless. Her days after that were bland and boring. She often thought about how she could have done things differently. She kept her window closed at night, too hurt to look at Dhruv again even accidentally.

Nisha was turning more and more vicious at school. She got sick satisfaction putting Seema down and bullying her in the class. Someone threw a paper ball at her during the chemistry class. 'Elephant Lite', it said. Seema folded the paper neatly and kept it on her desk. Their humor was getting old and at this point Seema didn't care.

"Ah...Seema are you coming to Sanjay's birthday party? Everyone is invited, you know," Nisha asked in her high pitched tone. It would have been a genuine question if it wasn't Nisha who was asking it. She eyed her, turning her head.

"I have other plans." She thought it was the proper response until...

"What plans? Stuffing your face with food?"

The students laughed like hyenas. Seema squeezed her eyes shut, more to control her anger than out of shame. She hated Nisha to her guts but the other students, she despised them for encouraging Nisha's shitty attitude. It was easier for Seema to ignore the vile girl than confront her.

Seema was walking back home after the shitty day at school when she saw Mr. Kumar standing outside his gate waiting for her, a look of anger on his face.

"Mr. Kumar." She stood before him, her thumbs under the straps of her backpack.

"He won't eat," Mr Kumar said, hands on his hips.

"Huh?" Seema asked, confused.

"He spoke to me today, for the first time. He hasn't eaten in the last three days. He refuses to eat. When I asked him why, you know what he said?"

"What?"

Mr Kumar sighed, looking at Seema as if she was the cause of all his distress. "He said, I want the girl."

Seema's eyes were seconds away from popping out of their sockets. "Is he talking about me?"

"Who else?" Mr Kumar mocked.

"Oh." She said. A small part of her was intrigued. No one had ever wanted her before, this, even if he was a demon, felt nice.

"Come inside." Mr. Kumar sterned. She walked in after him. "You shouldn't have broken the rules. Now he has gotten a taste of you, it's difficult to get him under control."