Chapter 2 - On the Road

Cold hands made themselves at home on your body, making you panic. They held you harshly, leaving bruises everywhere. "Go away!" You tried to yell, but nothing louder than a whisper was heard. The dark space around you moved closer and closer to you.

"You soul... give me space," the familiar, high-pitched, and piercing voice sounded.

"What do you want?" You couldn't make out anything around you, but you could feel this being's presence within you and around you. 

"You will find out when you give me space," it whispered playfully. It felt like the voice came from everywhere, even inside of you, which freaked you out. 

"But they killed you..."

"I'm with you now." 

You woke up suddenly from your dream, like how you would wake up from a nightmare where you died. Your heartbeat was going crazy, making you grab your blanket and take a deep breath in an attempt to calm your body. Your head was throbbing again, so you reached for the painkillers that Ignis had left by your bed along with a glass of water. After swallowing and calming your nerves, you noticed voices outside of the caravan that you had just slept in. It smelled like someone was cooking as well, which made you really excited to get up. Luckily it was just a nightmare, and it wouldn't come with you, right? Despite it not being your home, it felt really peaceful to be there, in the caravan.

You dragged your blanket off of your body and cringed at the chill air that surrounded your skin. You were wearing your t-shirt, paired with your riding pants, which were still a little sticky from the slime. "At least we got most of it off yesterday," you thought to yourself, sighing. While getting up on your feet, you stretched your arms as widely as possible and yawned. You also rubbed the sleep out of your eyes. You weren't quite the morning person, so you expected to be the last one up. That was until you noticed the prince's arm sticking out of some blankets further down the caravan. Made you smile a little to see such normality around a prince. Royals were just like everyone else, after all. Turning in the other direction, you saw Ignis, who was cutting some vegetables. You were quite intrigued by the fact that he was cooking.

"Good morning," he greeted, giving you a friendly look. You smiled back.

"Morning... What are you making?" You asked in a drowsy morning voice, intentionally showing interest in what he was doing.

"Just a light vegetable and meat soup," he replied, proceeding to move the vegetables off of the cutting board and into the mix.

"Mmm, sounds delicious. I rarely eat warm food for breakfast." You felt your stomach rumble at the thought of food, causing you to blush lightly.

"It really is refreshing. The others tend to become quite grumpy when they don't receive it warm," Ignis said, smiling a little for himself while he stirred the soup. "By the way, there is water outside in case you're thirsty," he informed, looking through the small window, seeing the rest of the crew.

"Oh, thank you." You walked towards the door and stepped outside, squinting your eyes from the bright light. You saw Gladiolus and Prompto playing a game on their phones. The jug of water was on the table like Ignis mentioned, so you took a seat, chuckling silently at how focused Gladio and Prompto was.

"Good morning, Y/N! Gladio, c'mon, he's only at a thousand HP!" Prompto greeted, then panicked, tapping his fingers lighting fast.

"My special attack is ready any moment now," Gladio replied, tapping his fingers equally as fast as Prompto. It was fun to watch the two, just being themselves. You found yourself enjoying their company a lot, thinking about if you would ever meet them again after you returned home. You brushed off the worrying thoughts, though, and grabbed a plastic cup to pour the water in.