Chapter 5: Hot Stuff

"Are you sure?" Zackery asked.

"Yeah," Faniel answered. "I think I should avoid elevators for a while."

"I know what you mean." He chuckled and led the way. "Let's go."

"Right behind you."

Faniel followed Zackery to the staircase and proceeded downstairs. Soon, Faniel had gotten ahead of Zackery, who was lagging behind looking a bit pale and out of breath. Realizing that he was way ahead, Faniel turned to look back at Zackery.

"Dude, are you okay? You don't look so good."

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, okay?" Zackery let go of the handrail and sat down on one of the steps.

"Aiyoh, I didn't mean it that way," Faniel said.

"Oh..."

Faniel ran up the stairs to where Zackery was and slouched down to look at him. "What's the matter with you?"

"Give me...a minute..."

"For what?"

"To...catch...my breath..."

"Are you that out of shape?" Faniel looked at the number on the wall and chuckled. "This is the second floor. Only one more to go."

"I'm dizzy, okay?"

"Blame it on your small eyes. They are impairing your vision, therefore causing an imbalance in your system."

"Do you even hear yourself, short legs?" Zackery panted. "That doesn't even make sense."

"Yeah, it does."

"Whatever." Zackery huffed. "I haven't slept well the entire week and I didn't eat anything today."

"What? Why not?" Faniel was curious.

"Because, I can't get you..."

"Me?"

"No, not you!"

"Then, who?"

"Someone has been invading my mind, that's all."

"Oh, I see." Faniel smiled smugly and sat down beside Zackery. "So, who is she?"

"It's not a she."

"What? You mean you...?"

Zackery nodded. "Yeah..."

"You're in love with an animal?" Faniel shot up from where he was sitting and stared down at Zackery in disgust.

"What? NO! It's a guy. What are you thinking?"

"Oh, thank goodness." Returning his bottom to the previous spot, Faniel gave out a sigh of relief. "It's only a guy. So, you are gay?"

"I might be, yes."

"Might?" Faniel threw him a look. "Dude, you have feelings for a guy."

"It's only that one guy in particular."

"Wow. Who's the unlucky guy?" Faniel joked.

Trust me. You don't want to know. Zackery grinned nervously. "It's none of your business."

"Someone's cranky."