seven

Going back to school and facing everybody there the following Monday made Talia's stomach do flips. She was far too embarrassed to even get out of bed in the morning and Noah had to physically drag her out. 

Because he had to wait for her to get ready, the two were late for first period. Mrs. Connell was not pleased with the two students and shot them a look as they took their seats at the opposite ends of the classroom. 

After freshman year, teachers knew not to allow the two of them to sit with each other. They talked way too much and would almost always end up getting into some sort of trouble together. Despite the distance put between them, they managed to pull off a few shenanigans. 

The first few minutes of the class went by without a hitch. Noah and Talia kept their heads down to do their work and were barely acknowledging each other's presence. 

Evan, who sat right in front of Talia, turned around and smiled. The girl didn't notice because her face was buried in the packet of worksheets. 

"Nice dancing on Friday night," he whispered. 

Talia's eyes momentarily widened, but reduced to its normal size as she lifted her gaze to Evan's. He had a stupid smirk plastered on his face and she wanted nothing more than to punch it off. 

"Thanks," she responded with a flat tone. 

"Wanna show me some more moves at my place later?"

Talia scoffed. "In your dreams. Fuck off."

The boy to her right, Cyrus, jumped into the conversation and added, "Oh it'll definitely be in his dreams. If you know what I mean."

Evan and Cyrus fist-bumped, making her roll her eyes. She blocked them out but they continued to make obscene comments about what she did at that party.

Noah heard the whispers and glanced over at Talia, seeing her adjust her neckline uncomfortably. With careful eyes, he evaluated her surroundings and took a deep breath as the boys around her snickered.

He shot straight out of his seat and walked down the aisle between the two boys. His steps were heavy yet the boys were too caught up in their sick minds to pay any attention.

"I knew you had a nice rack but wow. It would have been better if we saw them without that little black bra you were wearing," Cyrus practically drooled. 

Talia kept doing her work and acted as if they did not exist. Unfortunately, she still could still hear them which also meant that Noah could too. She knew that the footsteps approaching were his, yet didn't want to give the little surprise away.

When Noah finally reached the two, he grabbed the hoods of their jackets and violently pulled them back, forcing them to stare up at him. 

"What the fuck, dude?" Evan choked, grabbing at his collar.

"Continue saying that shit and your teeth are going to be punched to the back of your throat," he threatened quietly. "You understand?"

When he didn't get a reply, he pulled the fabric even further back and wrapped it around his closed fist. 

"I said, do you understand?" he repeated loudly. 

"Mr. Flynn. What is going on?" Mrs. Connell shouted from her desk at the front of the room. 

Noah answered, "Nothing! Just asking about football practice!"

He narrowed his eyes at the the two boys and they nodded. He let go of their hoods and walked back to his seat, but not without ruffling Talia's hair.