thirteen

Rummaging through her closet, Talia was more than stressed about finding the perfect outfit for her date.

"Elle, what should I wear?" Talia shouted across the room at the junior.

The two never really hung out alone together, but because her best friend was less than happy about her date, she opted for the opinion of another girl. She couldn't turn to Lee because, well, he had a small crush on her and he would think that she looked good in everything and that was not very accurate.

Elle pondered for a bit before answering, "I really like that black dress with red roses."

With a satisfied smirk, she pulled the dress out from her closet and looked at it with content.

"Thanks Elle!" she cheered, running to the bathroom to get ready.

"Anytime, Natalia!" Elle awkwardly called out, swatting the air. "I'll just... see myself out. Good talk! We should do this again sometime!"

~*~

The fateful I'm here text sent a multitude of emotions throughout Talia's consciousness.

For her first date in a year, she was extremely nervous. What if she turned into a ball at the sight of him? What if she blabbed and scared him away?

If she messed up this date, she would never forgive herself.

"Mom, I'm leaving!" she shouted, running out of the house before she could get interrogated.

As soon as she stepped outside, a gasp escaped her lips. Jay was standing outside of his car with a rose in his hand.

His face lit up at the sight of her and he began to meet her halfway.

"Hey," he greeted. He extended the arm that held the rose and said, "This is for you. Just a little something."

"Oh gosh, thank you so much," Talia gushed. "You look great."

"And you look absolutely stunning. Wow, I can't believe I scored a date with you," he gasped.

Talia's face turned red and she looked down at the ground. Jay thought that it was adorable and took her hand.

"Come on, let's get going."

With his hand still wrapped around hers, he led her to the passenger seat. He opened the door for her and waited until she was comfortable to close the door.

Excitement was the biggest feeling that surged through the both of them. The night held so much potential but it could go a million different ways. It's either going to be the start of something new or the end.

She stared out of the window, the sight of her neighborhood soon turning into the bustling city of Los Angeles. Outside of the car, the city's nightlife began to wake up.

Talia looked over at the boy and asked, "Where are we going?"

"You said you liked surprises. So, I put a little something together," he slyly replied, a smirk spreading across his face.

The girl impatiently placed her hands in her lap.

"Well, then you must remember that I said I hate being told that I'm going to be surprised," she shot back.

A low laugh came from Jay, awakening the butterflies that sat in her stomach.

She caught herself staring at him. How could she not? Strands of blonde hair fell in front of his face, but they weren't long enough to obstruct his vision. His jawline was sculpted perfectly, almost sharp enough to cut her.  His eyes were a perfect blue hue and she wanted nothing more than to get lost in them.