01 ~ Sorry Didn't See You There

Chapter 1 ~ Sorry Didn't See You There

I sat in the grass watching my father throw a baseball to my little brother as he stood in his stance, eyes concentrated, bat in hand. My mother was beside me reading her favorite book, To Kill a Mockingbird. Silently scanning and turning the pages as needed. I was nuzzled next to her, gazing at the site in front of us.

"I cannot believe I'm going to start school tomorrow, where did the summer go?" I sighed as my mother put her book down to look at me.

"And I can't believe my baby girl is going to be a senior in high school," she said as she pulled me into a hug. I inhaled her sweet scent, closing my eyes. As long as I could remember she always smelled like that and it would always make me feel better no matter what.
Our sweet moment was cut short when my brother came up to us bouncing on his toes,
our dad in tow.

"Hey Mom when are we eating?" He asked, tossing the signed baseball in between his hands. The ball was signed by Wille Mays from when my grandfather brought our dad to his first baseball game and it's been passed down through generations. First granddad, then our dad, and now Logan.

"Jeez Logan are you always hungry? I swear we just ate like an hour ago!" I say nudging him in the side and he shoots me a glare in return.

"Give your brother a break Halston, he is a growing boy," My Mom said, ruffling Logan's hair. "Besides, I brought sandwiches." There goes my mom, always being prepared. She started taking them out of the bag as I came to realize I forgot to do something before we left the house.

"Hey I'm going to go eat something at the house," I said, getting up and brushing off all of the dirt and leaves on me from sitting on the ground.

"Are you sure, there is plenty for you?" My Mom asked, shooting me a worried look.

"It's fine I should head up anyways, Peyton insists that I show her what I'm wearing tomorrow, you know how she is." I lie through my teeth.

"I don't understand why people take time to care about their appearance," Logan mumbled, his mouth full. "Hmmm that's probably why you don't have a girlfriend," I muttered as I walked away.

"Hey I could have one if I wanted to, I just choose not to," He yelled after me and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Whatever you say loser!" I yelled back. As I ran I noticed that the sun was setting, the sunsets here were amazing. I was always mesmerized by how the pinks and oranges blended together to creat the perfect mural of colors. Too caught up in my train of thoughts I didn't even realize that I took the wrong path and ended up in a different part of the park. A part I didn't recognize.

"Of course this happens to me," I mutter, taking my phone out of my back pocket, suddenly I'm hit with a object that sends me flying forward.

"What the hell!" I yell, sitting up and rubbing the back of my head.

"Sorry didn't see you there," a guy said running to help me up with his slight English accent.

"Clearly," I mutter as he extended he hand out and I took it. He pulled me up but was too much force so I ended up toppling over him knocking us both back onto the ground.

"Sorry!" I squeaked pushing myself off of him, blushing as we both got back up from the ground.

"It's fine," He laughed, brushing himself off and I chuckled myself. He had light brown hair that was exploding in curls and grey eyes that sent butterflies exploding in my stomach. He had seemed familiar to me but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. My eyes wandered to the ground to see his soccer ball lying next to me.

I picked it up and handed it to him" Oh, this belongs to you right?" He glances and me and the soccer ball in my hands before he takes it and sends me a crooked smile. "Oh thanks, sorry for knocking you down."

"Oh it's okay I probably would have fallen over myself anyways so you just kind of sped up the process," I said honestly as he started to slowly walk backwards onto the grass.

"I'm sure it's not that bad, you seem like the kind of girl who'd be quick in her toes. Let me guess, Basketball?" I suppress a laugh and shake my head.

"Okay wait um how about dance?" I continue to shake me head. This is going to be fun.

"Gymnastics?"

"Nope."

"Cheerleading?"

"No again."

"Lacrosse."

"Hell no, how you seen how aggressive they are?" I say visualizing when we played it phy-ed, man those girls can be really scary.

"Okay, how about ice dancing?"

"Okay now your just being mean."

"No, I give mad props to those people, I can't even skate on ice regularly without falling flat on my ass." He pauses for a second, trying to think of another sport then finally says, "Shuffleboard?"

"Is that even considered a sport?

"Maybe for old people. Okay fine I give up what do you play because I'm obviously not going to get it."

"Okay fine I'm in track."

"Track, now that makes sense. You look like the runner type I-" a ding coming from his phone interrupts him and he brings his gaze off of me and onto it.

"Shit I got to go home. See you around...?" He raises an eyebrow and I give him a teasing smile as I shrug. " I guess you'll have to figure that out yourself."

***

Lovelies it has started, I'll update every Friday unless something occurs or you are blessed with another extra chapter a week, but I hope you like it! Make sure to like, comment, and vote! Feedback is. Appreciated!