10 ~ Home of the Notorious Bulldogs

Chapter 10 ~ Home of the Notorious Bulldogs

Darkness. Complete darkness is all I see. A sea of black so dark that when I glance at my hand, it's not there. My heart starts to beat 10x faster than it was before and panic blooms in my chest. I reach out my hands to test my surroundings it's harder to move them. I move my body faster, soon to realize what I'm surrounded by. Water. Then I'm choking on it. My breaths start to stagger. Then I start to drown. And I scream, but no sound comes out.

My eyes flash open to a blurry figure above me. I can't make out who it is but I can tell that their mouth is moving, but the sound is muffled. My eyelids flutter as I try to regain my consciousness and become more aware of where I am.

"W-what happened?" I stutter as the figure reaches out to me and I take their hand and sit up. A wave of dizziness washes over me and I blink rapidly, willing it to go away. It subsides and I come to focus to recognize who is in front of me. Asher.

"Kitten are you okay? I found you passed out in the parking lot." He asked, pulling me to my feet.

"I-I think so," I answer, but am then thrown off balance and start to stumble backwards, almost falling until Asher catches me.

"Woah there kitten, don't go dying me now," He jokes, letting me go and I regain my balance.

"Don't worry charming, I'm not going anywhere," I laugh as I try to remember how or why I was at my car. My brain still fuzzy.

"No but seriously kitten are you okay?" That's when it hit me. My mom. I start to panic and violently shake and Asher shoots me a concerned look and rushes up next to me. My breathing starts to fasten and he tries to calm me.

"Hey, it's okay. Just breathe. In. Out. In. Out." he says as he rubs my arms, attempting to comfort me. Once my breathing slows he turns me to face him.

"What's wrong kitten?"

"My m-mom is i-in t-the hospital" I manage to stutter out. He pulls me into a hug, ruffling my hair.

"Kitten, I'm so sorry," he whispered in my ear. I pull away from him.

"Do you want me to take you there?" I nod and he pulls me to a standing position. I inhale deeply, trying to compose myself before I start crying.

"Well if you didn't think I was human before, you definitely do now. I don't think I've cried so much in front of one person before." He lets out a quiet laugh and shakes his head.

"You are definitely something kitten, definitely something. Now are you going to hand me the keys to your car, or are we going to have to walk there?"

"Don't you have a fancy car that you can drive Charming?" I question him.

"Nah, I let Avery borrow my car today." He answers and I shoot him a confusing look. Does he have a girlfriend? Not that I would care, he's just a friend, that's all...right?

"Avery is.....?"

"My twin sister, I thought since you have probably heard so much about me that you would have heard about her as well?"

"I didn't, I only know Jordan, but that's about it. How many siblings do you have?" I asked him as I pulled out my keys and unlocked the door and climbed inside. Maybe this would take my mind off the shit I'm going through right now.

"I have s..six siblings." I stare at him in disbelief.

"Six, damn charming I knew you had a big family, but not that big. I honestly think I couldn't handle having that many siblings, I mean I can barely handle one! Anyways, what are their names?"