Chapter 21

Monday couldn't get here fast enough for Percy. He took the entire day off school, even told his friends to inform the professors that he would be using his right as champion and skiving off the entire day.

He entered The Forest at exactly 8 in the morning and furiously began working. He borrowed a few books on dragons from the library last night before going to bed. He then used his quick read glasses and began reading through them, undertaking a crash course in dragons and how to defeat or distract them.

From what he understood the dragons had a very strong hide and the flames were extremely magical and powerful. Any ordinary flame freeze charm wouldn't work against it as the dragon's magic would simply overpower the wizard's spell. And any potion used to make an item flame proof would be burnt out in seconds.

So Percy needed to make a way to defeat the dragons by either putting them to sleep and being faster than them. He also needed a way to avoid the flames. Oh and the claws and fangs attached to said dragon.

His curse of Achilles would take care of the fangs and claws, no problem there. But the flames could be a problem. Percy remembered Kronos in Luke's body being burnt by Hestia's flames. Luke also had the curse, but he still got burnt. Now there was no telling how much stronger a goddess's flames are when compared to a dragon, but Percy didn't want to risk it.

First he made a list of all he had on hand to use.

The flying cape was one item of note, it was fast, very agile and also very very cool. The board would be a good alternative, but Percy didn't want to use something that slow up against a dragon. And since he would be fighting a dragon perhaps now would be the best time to try and make the cape flame proof. So Percy carved a few runes on it for just that. Hopefully that would be enough.

Then came Percy's array of potions,he had invisibility potion, though it was useless against a dragon's keen sense of smell, according to chapter 10 in 'Dragons and how to tame them'. The elixir of courage would be a good potion to have, along with any type of fireproofing potion he could make.

Percy did however have one very important advantage, it seemed dragons were very susceptible to dreamless sleep potions, though they had to be very strong to take effect. And luckily Percy was one of the few people in Hogwarts history who could make a draught of the living death in under an hour.

He had all the ingredients already prepared, he got them during his trip to Hogsmeade. He knew he was going to face something, and he bought the ingredients in the hopes that whatever he would face was susceptible to potions. And dragons most definitely were.

Unfortunately Percy's couldn't use Felix Felicis, it was banded in all sporting events, and the triwizard tournament was technically considered a sporting event. So while that was out, no one said anything about using different kinds of potions, maybe a strengthening potion or two can compensate for the luck of Felix.

And so Percy got to work. He first made the draught of living death, his best weapon against the dragon. He also made the flameproof potion, a couple of bravery elixirs, a strengthening potions and anything else he would need.

Percy then began working on his protection. He wasn't just going to walk in there without any armour to wear, no sir, he wasn't an idiot, curse of Achilles or not.

He managed to find a spare suit of armour, that wasn't enchanted, in the hallways and 'borrowed' it. He brought it back to The Forest and began carving runes into the metal. He made a few rune clusters regarding defense, durability and flexibility.

He also added a charm that would automatically make the armour attach itself onto his body. It was similar to the charm people used to pack their clothes, putting the item in the appropriate location, only in the case the item was armour and the appropriate location was Percy's himself.