prologue

▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮

Saito Emi

▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮

The letter she has received from Yuuei sits innocently on her desk.

She woke up earlier than her mother to go retrieve the letter from the mailbox right in the pouring rain, but she doesn't mind. It's not like she woke up so early anyway since her mother usually wakes up at two in the afternoon. Emi hasn't even showered or had breakfast yet.

Glancing back at the envelope, she notices that despite the rain and the dust surrounding all parts of the mailbox, it remains white and pristine.

She takes a deep breath through her nose and releases it when she has the envelope in her hands. She opens it carefully, not wanting to ruin that fancy feel emanating from it. Slipping out the firm and thick paper, she prepares herself for all cases. She might have been rejected. She might have been rejected and advised not to try this with other schools. And she might have been accepted. Her lips twitch upwards at the last thought.

She did visit the school about two weeks ago after she sent her request which was a month before. They said to be put through a trial with Recovery Girl to make sure that she's fit to be what she has requested to be.

Her eyes quickly skim the words and the meaning settles in after quite some time. She shakes her head partially in disbelief and partially in patience as she tries not to get her hopes crushed. Her dyslexia may have messed up a word and she misread it or some of that usual stuff.

She reads every word again and every sentence twice until she reaches the cute signature of the school's principal. She exhales and inhales until she has let out all the feelings inside of her because screaming and squealing is not allowed in this household.

She got accepted.

She got accepted to be Recovery Girl's apprentice at an elite school. They'll try to manage her schedule as she is also a student, so she can benefit from her apprenticeship with Recovery Girl.

She knows that this mostly happened because of her mother's reputation, but it is still an opportunity that she can't miss. Her home-schooling is finally coming to an end. As awkward and socially inept as she is, she's actually looking forward to knowing people her age.

She starts in a week.