21 | whatever happens, happens

◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖

Todoroki Shoto

◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖◗◖

She doesn't show up for school the rest of the week and according to Ochaco's disappointed mutters, she didn't go Yaoyarozu's sleepover either. He didn't go as there is no one he's particularly close to. Shoji's told him before that he wasn't going and he's the only guy he could have a proper conversation with.

It's the beginning of a new week and he comes early to school in anticipation to see Emi. He's only seen her at the funeral which was barely anything short of an acknowledging glance since there were so many people. The glance they shared told him that she was going to be okay. The rain which has been going on nonstop that day has made her hair have a dull hint of light and her eyes became dark green nights. He remembers thinking about how dainty she looked in her black dress and how terrifying her relatives were. He remembers fearing for her as her relatives approach her like predators, sneers on their faces and ill intent in their movements. A woman, just as dainty, managed to fend off anyone who got too close like she was shooing a bunch of stray dogs and it was only then, he was relieved that there is someone with her, on her side. His father went disgruntled as he didn't like the late pro-hero much. They left as soon as the casket was lowered.

The door slides open and Shoto snaps out of his thoughts only to feel mild annoyance at Iida's appearance. He was hoping a messy blonde head to enter instead.

Soon, most of the class arrives and still no sign of tired but glowing grass green eyes. She's already missing so much he doubts Emi can go another day without school knowing that.

Aizawa steps in, looking almost the same since the funeral. The only difference he was wearing a black dress shirt. Shoto is ready to give up until a girl with short curly blonde hair follows behind him and his breath hitches. Emi with short hair is probably one of the most beautiful sights he's ever seen. Her slender neck is bare, showing off more soft freckles. Her face is framed nicely with pale locks and her cheeks have a healthy blush weakly concealing the bridge of freckles from one cheek to another. Her legs free from bruises and her shoulders free from tension, she strolls in, laughing at something Aizawa says. Her eyes are upbeat and full of life and he wonders if her mother's death is truly a sad thing.

"Hi!" she greets the girls as they fuss over her and shower her with compliments. She welcomes all the hugs, kisses and cheek pinches. The smile she has doesn't leave her face and Midoriya who enters, dramatically tears up at the sight of her but flashes her a grin, leaving her with her other friends.

Shoto moves his eyes to the rest of his classmates and he can see Mineta drooling and most of the other boys blushing. He hopes he's not one of them. Even Bakugo doesn't threaten her or glare at her when she calls him Hitler. His gaze is more concerned than irritable and the grunt that leaves him is barely audible.

Aizawa sits them down and pats Emi's head as he passes by.

"Now that everyone is present, I have something important to tell you."

Shoto feels everyone holding their breaths. The pin-drop silence is almost killing him and it doesn't help that his heart is beating loudly in his ears, unable to get used to Emi's new appearance and the anticipation for another fight.

"It's time for you to pick a class president."

As soon as that sentence is uttered, noise and chatter exploded amongst the class. His eyes shift to Emi, planning to only steal a look only to find her already looking at him. She grins at him and waves. He returns her greeting with a nod and small twitch of his lips. Her grin spreads showing her teeth in a full-blown smile and his chest constricts with the need of holding her somehow.

The class finally come into an agreement of voting which Midoriya and Yaoyorozu win but Todoroki can't care less. He doesn't even remember whose name he's written on the paper but he's pretty sure it was Emi's as she is all his thoughts are currently revolving around.

At lunch, she sits next to him, handing him her container of cold soba with no explanation. He doesn't complain.

Midoriya sits across her and starts talking about what she's missed. Shoto doesn't pay any attention to anything but her voice. He suddenly backtracks and frowns down at his food. This sudden obsession is freaking him out. It's like he's been deprived of her for so long and now he can't get enough. It's only been a week. He should start calming down or else she'll catch on. Or worse, someone else can catch on and tell her.

"Shoto, you okay?" she asks, a rice grain on her lips that she quickly swipes away with her tongue.

He nods and takes continues to eat. His previous thoughts of Emi are nothing but a distraction from his path to being a hero. There's no one else to blame besides him. He doesn't know how to get attached without it ruining something.

But what got ruined?

He paused midbite and returned the chopsticks to the container. It isn't about what got ruined because nothing did. It's about what's going to get ruined if he continues to humour his feelings for Emi. His wayward concentration has already been bothering him and if this goes on, he'd risk his father finding out. God knows what he'll do if he knows his son likes the daughter of Saito, a hero people claim to be stronger than him.

"Hey, I'm getting worried," she says, fingers pressing down on his hand underneath the table. He flinches and she does as well, hurt swimming in the pools of green.

The skin contact merely surprised him but he doesn't want her to think he hates her touch. Or does he? Does he want her to understand that he isn't that close to her? They are already calling each other with their first names, he can't take it back now.

Oh fuck it

He grabs her hand and holds her fingers in his palm, releasing them only when she squeezes back. "Don't, I'm fine." He tries to smile. "I'm just having a lot of useless thoughts."

Whatever happens, happens

◄►◄►◄►◄►◄►◄►◄►◄►

He meets her back in the class after the security breach. He runs his eyes all over her, searching for any injuries or something out of place and he finds a scratch on her elbow. She was pressed up against him at one point, almost suffocating him with her close proximity and body warmth and then he lost her amongst the crowded hallways, finding her only when the irrational students stopped screaming and shoving each other around.

Green clashes with his heterochromia while his heart clashes with his ribcage. She raises her eyebrow as he ignores her and walks back to his seat, hiding his flushed face.

How long can I keep this up anyway?