t h r e e

c h a p t e r  t h r e e

***

I MEET ALEXIS IN THE PARKING LOT. Her blonde hair haphazardly tied into a bun, looking like she hadn't slept last night. That is the first thing I ask her when I see her, "What the hell were you doing last night?"

"Studying for the psychology test, of course," Alexis groans. "Where is Elise?"

"I don't know she must be already in the class." I reply, my eyes looking around for Wes.

Alexis nods and I wish her the best of luck for her dreaded test.

I start to walk toward the block D for my Algebra class, one of the few classes that I share with Elise this semester. But there is no sign of Elise in the class. I spot Tobias sitting with Parker and Aiden in the last row. I almost forgot he was back. Our eyes meet and I get conscious ---I don't know what to do. I give him a small smile and he returns with a small nod.

Our Algebra professor, Ms. Olin, comes in and Elise's seat is still empty.

And then it strikes me.

Elise, along with four other students, has gone for EDUQ, a yearly competition held for students of junior and senior year in New York City. I mentally make a note to wish her luck for the competition.

The class passes by slowly, like it always does, and by the time it is over, I am so ready for a holiday in Bahamas. When I turn to ask the blonde girl sitting behind me for her notes, I catch Parker staring at me. Our eye contact lasts only for a second; it is so brief but I can feel my heart beating against my chest. His eyes are such a brilliant and vibrant shade of blue, they almost hold me captive. I don't realize the breath I am holding in until it is time to release it, coming out like a sigh.

Parker is the first one to look away, after Aiden nudges him to move forward. I take this time to notice all the features on his face – he looked amazing.

"Hey Harper?" the blonde girl says and I snap my eyes away from Parker, "Please return my notes in the next three days, here you go."

I thank her and walk with her to my next class. It has been two years since I know her and she hasn't realized that I don't remember her name. In fact, her contact in my phone is saved as the blonde from algebra. Actually, that is how almost all my contacts are saved as – shame on my memory. I quickly type a good luck to Elise and switch off my phone.

ALEXIS AND I STAND NEXT TO WILHELMINA AND GINNY IN THE GYM. Wilhelmina turns to me and asks, "Where is Elise? I didn't see her today."

"She's gone to this math competition in NYC, should be back in three days." I reply, and just for a second I see the old Willy back – the sweet and always smiling girl. And just like the blink of an eye, she's gone – and I see a girl with diva curls and dark lipstick smeared on her lips.

"Who even goes to these competitions? But I am happy she's gone, be it three days only." Ginny laughs lightly and I scowl at her.

"We know why you're happy, in her absence you get to organize the homecoming week." Alexis rolls her eyes, "But that's what you are – a substitute."

Alexis might have a crossed a line but Ginny takes a second to reply, "That is whole point of substitutes – to be there when the main one is not. And if it keeps happening continuously, then it takes no time for the substitute to become the main one." Looking at Tobias right in the eye, she continues, "Right Tobias?"