t h i r t e e n

"BRIDGET SUTTON IS HAVING A PARTY AT HER HOUSE TOMORROW," ASHLEY TELLS ME. Not knowing what to do with this piece of information, I merely nod. I have completely stopped going to parties, and if Ashley is expecting me to come, I think of excuses to not go. "You're coming and I am not taking no for an answer."

I sigh, "I can't Ash; I have to cover up for the study I missed while I was away covered with bandages."

The morning bell rings, and Ashley pouts, "This discussion is not over yet. See you later in biology."

I walk towards my first class in the morning – math.

"Hey Fitz," Wesley comes up to me, adorned with his soccer jacket, "What's up?"

He hands me his math book and proceeds to zip up his jacket, and I watch some girls eye him dreamily. I laugh, "I take it that you won in Philadelphia, hence this jacket as a way to show off."

Wesley narrows his eyes at me, "First of all, show some respect to this dude standing right in front of you because he's a football god, literally. Secondly, I am not showing off, people naturally give me attention so I make it worth their while. Your boyfriend is the one showing off, go tell him off."

I don't think Wesley realizes what he said, because he continues rambling. But he was wrong – my ex boyfriend never showed off. It was all those stupid girls that gave him all the attention in the world. My ex boyfriend was the sole reason why I was anxious for math class; he was designated to sit on my left in that class.

I spot Sawyer and Parker at a distance, both of them wearing their letterman jackets.

Wesley and I make our way inside math class, where Mr. Stark is already seated. Once he lets us in, I sit on the last bench at the corner of the classroom, the heat already starting to kill me. Tobias isn't here yet, and I take this time to try to calm my nerves. But it all goes in vain, when he enters. I suddenly feel aware of my heart pounding hard against my ribcage, just like the time when I run three laps continuously. My throat goes dry and my palms feel sweaty, and I don't think it is because of the heat. When he comes to my side, beside his seat, he suddenly becomes aware of my presence. His dark brown eyes stare into mine, and I see only fury in his eyes. It makes my insides churn, like blades rolling inside my stomach making me want to throw up. He is the first one to look away, and I look at him as he keeps his bag down and sits down. He is wearing his letterman jacket too, and I want to congratulate him on his win in Philadelphia as well as the homecoming game too. Last year, he was heartbroken on losing the homecoming to Darwin High.

I realize that I am still staring at him. Embarrassed, I look away.

ONCE CLASS IS OVER, TOBIAS IS THE FIRST PERSON TO GET UP. He looks rather eager to get out of the class. Beside him, I get up too gathering all my books.

I notice his jacket's collar turned up, and it makes me lose my shit. I catch hold of his hand and pull him back. I don't get why he looks so surprised. I turn down his collar, murmuring, "Your collar, Tobias. Why are you so lazy—"

But he doesn't let me complete my sentence. He grabs hold of my hand and asks me in a low tone, "What are you doing?"

And then it strikes me.

I am not his girlfriend anymore. Screw me and my OCD.

Tobias drops my hand, and it hits the desk. It pains a bit, but Tobias furious look makes me forget about it. I gulp, trying to make a coherent sentence, "I am sorry. I don't know what I was thinking."