e i g h t

c h a p t e r  e i g h t

* * *

I HAD TO RUSH HOME EARLY IN THE MORNING TO GET MY CHEER-LEADING COSTUME. Harper and I had spent the whole night watching thrillers, and now I had to put in extra five minutes of effort to hide the dark bags underneath my eyes. As I descended down the creaky stairs, I could hear the muffled voices of my parents. I couldn't figure out what they were talking about, because, for once in many months, I saw regret in my mother's eyes.

"Where are you going, honey?" My father asks, as he pours fruit juice in a glass for himself.

"Its homecoming soccer and basketball game today, so I got to rush," I say, already making my way towards the door. My father wishes me luck, but my mother says nothing.

I see my mother mumble something, probably something like if only she was this dedicated to studies! I ignore her, and walk out of the house. Ginny comes to pick me round the corner, and I sit down feeling dejected.

"What happened to you, Mina?" Ginny asks, as I put the seat belt around me.

"My mom didn't even wish me luck for today."

"God, stop making such a fuss about it. You're such a kid."

I probably am.

AFTER THE SQUAD FINISHES THE WELCOMING ROUTINE FOR DARWIN HIGH, WE ARE TOLD TO WAIT AT THE SIDE. Ginny, as the head cheerleader, takes us to the side as we wait for the basketball team to come on the basketball court. A water bottle is passed around and each one of us takes a sip.

After five minutes, Ginny and the rest of the squad take our places in a straight line just outside the court. As soon as the basketball team of Silver Oak Preparatory enters, we start performing our routine. I watch Jeremiah and four other players dressed in blue and white jerseys enter the courtroom. Jeremiah takes his position, to the right of the team captain, Philip. I stare at the number 24 on Jeremiah's jersey – his birthday. I pull away a few stray strands away from my face, hoping that the photographer captured a nice picture of me in his camera for the yearbook.

After Principal Walton finishes his speech about welcoming Darwin High and wishing both the teams luck, our Coach Byers gives both the team some ground rules.

With a whistle, the first half of the game starts. People start cheering for our team members, as the first basket goes in three minutes later by Philip. I wait for Jeremiah to score a basket, but he only helps the team by defending – which is weird, because for one, Jeremiah plays in offence and two, Philip is normally known for not changing the positions of the players last minute. I see Philip pass the ball to Jeremiah, who is on the first pin. It's really easy for Jeremiah to put a basket from there, but he doesn't. Instead, he passes the ball over to Aiden, who finds it difficult to shoot from his position since two players of Darwin High are defending him. Needless to say, Philip looks really pissed off at the end of first half of the game where Darwin High is leading with 11-05.

I can hear two boys sitting behind on the stand blame Jeremiah for the pathetic game, and I turn around to glare at them.

In the second half, I see Jeremiah sitting at the sides. Philip had substituted him for another player. Jeremiah just stares blankly at his hands during the whole second half.

We lose for the fourth time to Darwin High. And it's not a pleasant sight to watch.

WE HAVE THREE HOURS TO KILL BEFORE THE SOCCER MATCH STARTS. Ginny calls us for a last practice just half an hour before the match starts. At a distance, I see Jeremiah and Philip in a heated argument, until Mandy comes and takes Jeremiah away.