Chapter Three

Brooklyn sat there, staring at the wall. Everyone else around her continued the assignment; she couldn't collect her thoughts long enough to get halfway through. She was busy thinking about him. Brooklyn glanced at Robbie sitting a few seats across from her, to find him already looking at her.

"What happened to him after I left?" She wondered.

He seemed a bit harsher, with a little bit of more carelessness. The Robbie she knew was a sort of daring guy with a small sweet side.

"Ms. Drake, I'd highly appreciate that you paid attention and focused on your school work," Mrs. Ballinger said. "Mr. Kay, I realize that the new girl is pretty, but you should probably work instead of stare at her."

Brooklyn's eyes widened and her face flushed red. It was obvious Robbie had seen her reaction by the chuckle he let out. She let out a sigh and started working on the Biology she needed to finish.

•••

When the final bell had sounded, Brooklyn was the last out the door and to her locker. Her parents were always home late so she wanted to take as much time as she wanted. She piled her books into her bag and slammed her locker shut.

As she walked home, a spark of wonder hit her. "Robbie actually lives a few roads over.... If he hasn't moved or anything."

Brooklyn unlocked the door to her semi new home. She threw her books on the couch an head back outside with her purse.

She was going to visit the Kay family.

•••••

Robbie Kay walked around his home aimlessly, eating. His parents out of town for the week; visiting his sisters back at home, him having to stay for studies.

He walked around goofing off and on his phone, putting away his ego for the night.

*knock knock*

Robbie walked up his front door and opened it, not paying attention to who was outside.

"Hello?" he said, still focused on his screen.

"Hi Robbie."

Robbie's eyes widened and he nearly dropped his phone. He slammed the door shut.

"Shit. Very smooth, Kay."

He re-opened the door and smiled nervously.

"Oh hey Brooklyn.."

"Um. Robbie." she said quietly.

"What?" He followed Brooklyn's stare and realized what he was wearing. or what he wasn't; all he was wearing was his jeans. "shit," he said, mentally slapping himself.

"Well uh. D-do you want to come in?"

He mentally groaned. "Did I just freaking stutter?!"

"Sure," Brooklyn smiled, stepping through the door. "Where's your mom? She was always so lovely." she beamed.

"Back home. I mean, in England. Visiting sisters. My sisters not sisters as in hers like my aunts," he sputtered out.

Brooklyn smirked and raised an eyebrow. "Robbie Kay, if I didn't know any better I'd say your nervous.."

Robbie was done with his own stupidity and quickly regained the confidence he's known for.

"I'm never nervous," he scoffed. "Sweetheart," he said stepping closer to her. "Shouldn't you be the nervous one?"

Brooklyn quickly swallowed her pride, realizing she'd provoked him too much. His eyes darkened, and his nervous smile was replaced with a glare.

"Robbie I came over to talk..." She said quietly.

He looked down at girl in front of him, his hard glare softened. Robbie smiled just looking at her. Brooklyn was nervously staring down at her shoes. She was decently shorter than him by a few inches, and he'd always teased her for it, though he thought it was cute.

He calmed himself and backed down a little.

"So, what did you want to say?" he said.

Brooklyn looked up at him.

"I-it's f-fine. We can talk maybe tomorrow," she said stuttering.

She went to the door and let herself out. Robbie reached to grab her arm, he didn't want her to leave. He was still in love with her after all.

"Robbie," she said before she left. " for future reference, I like you better when you aren't so fake." Then she left.

Robbie opened his mouth to say something but the words didn't come out. What Brooklyn didn't know was that she actually did prefer his fake side.

But then again, Robbie's been questioning himself since she moved to town.