Chapter Five

Brooklyn and Robbie sat there in an awkward silence. They were sitting across from each other on Robbie's couch, avoiding eye contact. Neither of them knew what to say, but some one had to break the silence and Brooklyn decided she would.

"Robbie," she asked with a straight face.

He looked over at her, waiting for her to ask or say more.

She turned and looked him in the eyes.

"Who are you?"

Confusion was obvious on his face. He didn't know what she meant. Even if he did he didn't know what to say or let alone, how to explain it.

Brooklyn knew he was confused and started to elaborate the question.

"I mean, are you what everyone says you are? Some big shot that everyone's scared of? Are you the boy I met over the summer?" She let out a frustrated sigh and looked over at him. Robbie was bent forward with his elbows rested in his knees, staring at the ground; clearly thinking.

Brooklyn cleared her throat. For once she was impatient and wanted an answer asap.

He looked up at her, his green eyes sparkling sincerity.

"I'd love to be the guy you thought I was, but in reality, I'm not. I still love you, I even put off my reputation for you for weeks. But I'm not the kinda guy you need."

Brooklyn sighed, puzzled. "The other day you acted like boy I knew weeks ago?"

"Brooklyn, ever since I knew you were back, I don't know who I am. It's been hard living up to my rep lately, considering I don't know if that's who I am."

Robbie put his head in his hands, frustrated. Brooklyn reached over to him.

"Well, who do you want to be?" she asked.

He looked over at her, his eyes affixed on her. "I want to be the guy you want. Except I can't do that without people judging me."

"Judging you for what?"

"Changing for a girl."

Now she was a bit irritated. 'What's wrong with changing for a girl?'

Robbie looked over at Brooklyn seeing the small bit of irritation on her face. He reached for her hand and she looked at him.

"Brook, I love you to death but-"

"But what?" she snapped. "The way people see you is more important?"

"No! it's just that I don't want people to think I'm an idiot for laying everything off for you. I love you and I''d cross the ocean for you Boo."

Brooklyn blushed at him for calling her by the nickname he'd given her over the summer.

"I'm just saying I don't want any rumors about us going around. Specifically you."

She smiled. "I should be going. Homework and it's only the first week!"

"Bye Brook," he gleamed.

"Bye Robbie," she smiled, and hurried out the door.

•••••••

When she reached her house quickly ran inside and slammed the door. Brooklyn was overjoyed that they had the situation straightened out. Robbie even admitted he loved her. He hadn't even said that before she was forced to temporarily move back home.

'I have to tell Nicole,' she thought.

Even before now she'd been dreading and procrastinating to tell her the truth. Now it would be even harder. Nicole had made her opinion of Robbie pretty clear these past few days.