1x22 Founders Day

The next afternoon, I actually finished with the painting, leaving me completely exhausted. John had told Pearl about the device at the same time as Jay told Anna not to come to the parade. I wasn't sure if Uncle John felt the same thing as his ancestor towards Pearl but from what he told me, he actually lied to Isobel about Pearl's death.

"Uncle John, can I borrow your car?" I called down the stairs, staring at my finished with a critical look.

A few moments later, the man was standing in the doorway "Is that the one you did for Carol? It looks awesome."

"Thanks," I smiled "I only need to get it to Mrs. Lockwood now. That's why I need your car."

Uncle John shrugged "Sure. Here." He held out the key for me to take "Just don't crash. Do you need help getting it down?"

"That would be nice," I told him, stepping to the side to let him work his magic. Figuratively speaking, that is. John quickly loaded the canvas into the backseat and shut the door "Thank you, Uncle John. I'll be back in a bit." I slid into the driver's seat and made my way to the Lockwood Mansion. I told Tyler to tell his mother that I was almost finished with the painting, so they should expect me.

"Angel," Carol greeted once she opened the front door "How are you?"

I smiled lightly "I'm fine, Mrs. Lockwood. I have that painting you wanted."

"Ah, yes. Tyler told me that you would bring it today," she grinned excitedly "I can't wait to see it. The drawing you made was phenomenal."

"Thank you. It's in the backseat," I pointed out "It's a bit too big for me to carry, though."

Carol peaked through the car window and sighed in disappointment when all she could see was the cloth I had wrapped it in "Hold on. I'll go and get Richard." She walked off, coming back moments later with her husband.

"Angel," Mr. Lockwood smiled, holding out his hand for me to shake.

I grasped his hand with a nod "Hello. Erm, could you help with the painting? I need to get the car back to Uncle John, otherwise, he'll probably have a heart attack or something."

"Men and their cars," Carol snorted, opening the door so Richard could take the canvas. It was inside the living room pretty quickly and the older woman was almost impatient to unclothe the finished work. I wasn't sure whether to be nervous or proud that she wanted one of my paintings. Once it was situated on the cushions of the couch, Mrs. Lockwood pulled back the piece of fabric. Once she could see the work, she gasped in delight "This looks fantastic, Angel. You really outdid yourself."

I bowed my head "It's nothing. So you like it then?"

"Yes," she nodded "I love it. How much do you want for it?"

"What?" I shook my head "No. It's – it's fine. You don't have to pay for it."

Richard put a hand on my shoulder "Nonsense. We would be happy to pay for your time."

"I – I don't know," I murmured, completely overwhelmed. It was different in New York. I didn't know the people who bought my paintings. Well, I did know Nik but the rest I didn't know. These were people who have known me for ages and they wanted to pay me for something I would gladly give for free "I really don't think..."

"How about we pay you ten thousand? I believe this is appropriate?" Carol offered "It should compensate the cost of your time and the material?"

I swallowed "You really don't have to pay me at all."

"But you did sell your paintings at the show. How did you price them?" Richard questioned, looking at the painting with a small smile.

"I didn't," I grinned sheepishly "Ms. Nelson's friend priced them but I think I made like two million on all twenty paintings. He didn't really tell me the exact value. I should be getting the money during the next few days."