6 Years Old

Peter was bouncing on his toes, he was so excited. Not only had he just turned six two days ago, but today was the first day of school. Now that he was a full six years old, it was time to officially start big-kid school and he could not wait. Tony, on the other hand, could definitely wait. He'd only had the kid for two years, but Peter had quickly grown on him. He didn't even wait the entire week before calling Miranda back up to adopt Peter. Pepper was neither surprised nor disappointed.

"Come on, Daddy!" Peter yelled, running into the living room. "Let's go!"

In the kitchen, Tony was pouring cereal for Peter at the counter. Undaunted by the early hour, Peter zipped around the living room, dive rolling on the couches and jumping from chair to couch. When Tony looked up from the cereal bowl to see Peter leap from one couch to his big chair, he almost dropped the milk. With a soft ploosh, Peter landed on the chair and squealed in delight. As he stood up to jump back onto the couch, Tony intervened.

"Alright, Pete!" he said, racing over to catch Peter mid jump.

Peter giggled loudly, latching onto Tony's arm happily as Tony set him back on the ground.

"Go eat breakfast."

He gave Peter a gentle push towards the counter and Peter was off. After he almost fell off the counter stool in his rush, Tony helped him clamber up so he could begin devouring his breakfast. He was nearly finished when Pepper walked in. Immediately, Peter forgot about his breakfast and ran to hug her around the legs.

"Hey, Peter," she said, wobbling only slightly when he hit her.

As she reached down to pick him up, she stopped and smiled. Peter had insisted the day of his sixth birthday that he was too old to be picked up like a baby. It had only been a few weeks ago, however, and they were all still adjusting to the new change (even Peter sometimes).

"Are you ready for school?" Pepper asked, reaching to ruffle his hair instead. Peter pushed her hand off his head and nodded.

"No," Tony objected, grabbing him from behind and taking him back to his breakfast.

Walking into the kitchen, Tony set Peter back on his stool and pointed to the bowl of half finished cereal.

"Finish breakfast then we leave."

Nodding hastily, Peter hurried to finish his cereal then jumped off the stool a minute later. Tony sent him to brush his teeth and get his brand new backpack before turning to Pepper.

"Does he really have to start school?" he asked, "He can wait another year, right?"

Pepper laughed and brushed his hair off his forehead.

"He's already going to be way ahead of his grade," Pepper said, "Nothing against you, but I think he would hate it if you kept him here."

Tony sighed.

"I know," he replied, "But—"

"No but's about it," Pepper interrupted, "Besides, he wants to make friends." Tony was about to interject again but Pepper hushed him and continued. "Friends his own age."

Before Tony could respond, Peter came bounding back into the room, backpack on his shoulders as he crashed into Tony's legs.

"Can we go now, Daddy?" Peter asked.

Tony smiled down at him and nodded, scooping Peter up in his arms. Maybe Peter still let Tony carry him around, but neither Pepper nor Tony were about to remind him that 'big boys don't need to be carried'.

* * * * *

When they arrived at the nearby elementary school, Peter was the first out of the car. He waited impatiently for both Tony and Pepper to get out of the car, bouncing around eagerly as the last car door closed. As soon as both his parents were out of the car, he grabbed both of their hands and pulled them towards the school building. Tony smiled down at Peter, then gave Pepper a look she understood perfectly. Neither of them was ready to let Peter go.

Peter seemed overwhelmed as soon they walked into the large building. Other kids—older kids—stood in the halls talking and almost no one had their parents with them. When he realised that he was the only kid with his parents, Peter couldn't help but feel embarrassed. As the kids looked in their direction and began whispering about Mr. Stark being at the school, Peter felt even worse.

Squeezing his dad's hand tighter, Peter stopped bouncing on their way to the first-grade classroom. When he noticed all the other first graders had their parents there, he felt a little less embarrassed.

"Welcome to first grade!" the teacher exclaimed. She did a double take when she recognised Tony, but quickly recovered. "I'm Miss Emily. Who are you?"

Tony bit back a comment. As if the teacher hadn't checked her roster and immediately committed the name 'Peter Stark' to memory.

"Peter," Peter whispered. Miss Emily leaned closer and Peter buried his face in Tony's leg.

"I'm sorry, I didn't hear," she said warmly.

"His name is Peter," Pepper told her.

Miss Emily smiled and nodded, stepping back enough that Peter felt it was safe to come out of hiding.

"You can go claim a cubby to put your backpack in then join the others on the carpet," Miss Emily told Peter with a smile. When Peter didn't move from Tony's side, she added, "If you want, your Daddy can go with you."

Peter looked up at Tony hopefully who nodded.

"Come on, kid," Tony said, tugging him gently towards the cubbies.

Peter let go of Pepper's hand and walked with Tony across the room to put away his backpack. Standing in the doorway, Pepper watched as Tony squatted down to say goodbye to Peter. Suddenly too scared to be left on his own, Peter threw his arms around Tony's neck and refused to let go.

"Hey, hey, buddy," Tony said, pulling back from Peter who had tears forming in his eyes. "Don't do that, Pete. You're gonna be fine."

Peter sniffled and Tony took a moment to remind himself he was doing this for Peter, he couldn't let him back out and go home now.

"Pep and I will be back at exactly noon to pick you back up," Tony promised, wiping a stray tear from Peter's eye. "But you won't want to leave because school is going to be so much fun."

"Promise?" Peter asked, holding out his pinky. Tony smiled and linked their pinkies together, shaking them.

"Promise."

Peter sniffled again then hugged Tony tightly. When he pulled away, he raced over to hug Pepper goodbye. With a smile, she knelt down to hug him easier and Peter hugged her even tighter.

"You'll have fun," she promised.

With a nod, Peter pulled back as Tony joined them. He hugged Tony again, holding on tightly.

"I love you, Daddy," he said, voice muffled by Tony's shoulder.

Tony patted his back then pulled back. "I love you too, buddy."