16 Years Old

Peter was exhausted. School was getting close to ending which meant tests were coming at him nearly every day and stressing him out even if they were fairly easy for him. It also felt as if bad guys were sprouting up more and more, making his work as Spider-Man harder and more tiring. He loved being Spider-Man, but he knew if his dad found out how much stress he had been under for the past month, Spider-Man would have to be put on hold until school was over.

The overload was getting a little unbearable, though. Despite how hard Peter tried, he still fell asleep in the lift and his feet dragged whenever he tried to move. Even dropping his backpack felt like an effort.

There was no doubt his dad was busy working in the lab. After grabbing a snack, Peter dragged himself down to join him.

As the lab door slid open, Tony greeted Peter but didn't look up from his project. He heard Peter move over to his normal area of the lab, so Tony continued on his own work until he needed an extra hand.

"Hey, come help me for a minute," Tony said, waving Peter over.

As soon as Peter was at his side, Tony showed him where to press while he fastened a screw. Peter did as was told. Tightening the screw quickly, Tony let go of the wire and slid back, telling Peter he could let go as well. Peter didn't move.

"Pete? You good, kid?" Tony asked, looking at him worriedly.

Peter snapped awake, shaking his head then looking at his dad.

"Sorry, what?"

Tony raised an eyebrow at him and Peter let go of the wire.

"How much sleep have you been getting?" he asked. Peter shrugged, stumbling backwards and sitting down in his dad's computer chair.

"Enough," Peter grumbled, but Tony didn't believe him. Rather than point out his kid's lie, though, he continued on his work until Peter wandered upstairs.

* * * * *

Hours later, Tony left the lab and went upstairs, expecting to find either Peter working on his homework or a note on the fridge saying he was out on patrol. What he did not expect, however, was for the kid to be fast asleep in the living room with his face on his chemistry book.

Tony frowned but didn't go and wake him up. Instead, he walked into the kitchen to make dinner. When Peter still hadn't woken up after dinner was done, Tony went to wake him up.

"Hey, kid," he said, kneeling in front of Peter.

Peter moaned as he sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"Dinner's ready."

Peter nodded and followed his dad into the kitchen.

Dinner was eaten silently. Peter looked like he could fall asleep any minute and Tony watched him worriedly. After he had finished eating, Peter washed his plate and walked into his bedroom without a word. Tony thought he was just headed to bed early, but when FRIDAY announced Peter had left the Tower as Spider-Man, Tony frowned.

"Monitor his vitals," Tony told her. With FRIDAY keeping him updated, he finished cleaning up from dinner then went to continue working in the lab until Peter returned.

* * * * *

When Peter returned, it was well past midnight and Tony was worried. He was sitting on Peter's bed when Peter walked into the room and flicked on the light. At the sight of his dad sitting on his bed, Peter jumped.

"Hey, Spider-Man," Tony said, "Thought we had a curfew."

"I know!" Peter exclaimed, tugging off his mask. "I'm sorry, there was just—this group of bad guys I saw on my way back and it took me a while to get them webbed up and sent to the police."

Tony didn't buy it and Peter could tell.

"Okay, that's a nice story," Tony replied sceptically, "How about the truth now?"

Peter sighed and sat on his bed beside his dad.

"I just needed to stay out later," Peter murmured, "I've been getting out later and later so there are more things to stop. It's okay, though. I'm good."

"Were you planning on sleeping now?" Tony asked. Peter stared at the floor and Tony got his answer. "What's going on, kid? And don't try to lie, I know there's something."

"It's just finals and studying and decathlon meetings and everything," Peter said, twisting his mask in his hands. "I also have to help you in the lab and by the time I get back from patrol, it's really late but I still need to study."

"How much sleep have you been getting?" Tony asked. Peter shrugged.

"Maybe an hour or two every night," he said quietly. Tony took a deep breath and Peter began to panic. "Please don't take away Spider-Man, though! It's the only thing keeping me sane!"

Tony chuckled and shook his head.

"Sorry, kid," Tony said, "I'm gonna need you to stop being Spider-Man until finals are over unless you can promise me you'll get a full eight hours of sleep every night."

Peter gaped at him. That was impossible. Tony shrugged.

"Then I'll need Spider-Man."

"But, Dad!"

"Peter, I'm just trying to keep you healthy," Tony told him. Peter felt tears prickling his eyes but held them back as his dad said, "I'm calling your school and pretending you're sick tomorrow. You're going to spend all day catching up on sleep then I'll help you study every night until finals are over. If you have time, I'll let you go out as Spider-Man for an hour."

Peter nodded and Tony sighed.

"I know, it's for my own good," Peter said before his dad could.

"You should get some sleep, kid," he said, standing up from Peter's bed.

Peter nodded and laid down as his dad flicked off the light.

"Goodnight, kid. I love you."

"Love you too," Peter mumbled, rolling onto his side to get more comfortable. His dad hadn't even shut the door before Peter was fast asleep.