21 Years Old

Today was the day. Yes, sir, today was Peter's day. He was going to do it today and it wouldn't be put off again. Although he had been getting sidetracked the past two weeks, he had made sure his dad and the rest of the team didn't interrupt him today, this Tuesday in June. Today was the day, Peter was sure.

"Peter!"

Peter groaned. Maybe he wasn't so sure after all.

"I know I'm not supposed to interrupt you because today is 'your special day'," Sam said, phrasing it in a way Peter wasn't sure he was comfortable with. "But I really need you to pick me up some oil for my wings."

God, he never should have answered the phone. Why had he answered his phone? It was a mistake and he would never be answering his phone again. Never.

"Sam—"

"Hear me out!" Sam interrupted, making Peter groan again. "Natasha used it all up on her motorcycle and didn't tell me, but we have to leave on a mission in three hours. I won't bug you on the mission, I just really need oil."

"Have Dad get it or something," Peter said, sinking lower in his seat, "He's at the compound today."

"Already asked. He won't get it." Of course, he wouldn't. "Would you please?"

Sam dragged out the last word and Peter wanted to stomp his foot in anger like he would when he was seven.

"Fine," Peter grumbled, "But you owe me, Wilson."

"Thanks so much, man!"

Peter just grunted then hung up. A second later, Sam texted him the kind of oil he needed for his wings and Peter grabbed his keys. Unfortunately, Sam wasn't the only one who interrupted his day.

* * * * *

Peter had gotten Sam's wing oil, picked up Pepper from the airport (which cancelled his lunch plans with Michelle, so she went with him to get Pepper), and helped Ned fix his laptop. By the time he was done and driving away from Ned's house, it was nearing dinner time. None of his plans had worked out and Peter was really starting to get irritated. Apparently, today would not be his day after all.

"Hey," Michelle said, grabbing his hand, "How about we grab dinner at McDonald's then walk around Central Park?"

"Sure," Peter murmured.

He pulled into the drive-through of the nearest McDonald's and ordered their food. Fortunately, they found a parking spot nearby, so they parked the car then walked to Central Park where they ate their McBurgers and fries. Even when they had finished, Peter was still irritated.

"What's wrong?" Michelle asked, taking Peter's empty wrapper and throwing it away.

"Nothing," he dismissed.

With a disbelieving look, Michelle grabbed his hand and laced their fingers together. Peter looked down in surprise, but said nothing; Michelle was almost never the one to entwine their fingers.

"I told them all today was date day and they weren't supposed to bother me," Peter grumbled, "But I guess it doesn't matter to them."

He immediately felt bad. They were his family and sometimes they needed things, but Peter hated that they couldn't ask someone else on the one day he'd asked to be left alone on.

Michelle hummed, pushing a curl out of his face as they walked around the park

"And what makes today different than tomorrow?" she asked, "Maybe we can have our day tomorrow."

Peter sighed. She was right, of course, but she also didn't know how long it had taken to get enough courage to go out today.

"I just wanted to talk to you about something important and now the day's been ruined," Peter muttered. Michelle grinned and tugged gently on his hand.

"I think if you really want to propose, it doesn't matter what we do for the day," she said. Peter's eyes widened and he turned to look at her in surprise. She laughed. "Oh please, I found the ring in your jacket a week ago."

"MJ! It's supposed to be a surprise!" Peter exclaimed. Michelle laughed more and shook her head.

"I don't care, Peter," she told him, "You could have proposed in the car on the way to pick up Pepper and I still would have said no."

Peter's face dropped. "You would say no?"

Michelle rolled her eyes and turned to face him.

"You'll never know if you never ask," she told him.

With a shy smile, Peter pulled the ring from his pocket and awkwardly got on one knee. "Michelle Jones, will you marry me now that you've thoroughly ruined the surprise and made me forget my speech?"

Michelle raised an eyebrow at him and Peter waited earnestly for her to respond.

"No," she said, but the small smile on her face told him otherwise. Peter gave her a look and she laughed, pulling him up to his feet. "Of course, loser. Now let me see the ring I know Pepper definitely did not help pick out."