chapter eleven: i'm the guys from the ball

"I want like four different flavors. Give me a second to decide," I tell Noah and through the glass at all of the ice cream flavors. 

"It's not that difficult, Red," he groans.

"Um, yes it is. I want chocolate, an all American favorite. You can never go wrong with chocolate but I always get chocolate. Then there's blueberry cheesecake. I found my love for that like three years ago. I love that stuff. But of course there's cotton candy which has been my favorite since I was like six but I'm really having a taste for strawberry right now. Do you see my dilemma?" I ask him.

"I see you are extremely educated on your ice cream," he says and laughs at me.

I punch his shoulder. "Stop, this is serious."

"Get all four," he tells me.

"On one cone?" i ask. 

"Yeah. That's no big deal."

"I have to stay in shape for volleyball and I don't think eating four scoops f ice cream is the way to go," i tell him.

"Just get the ice cream," he says to me.

"Noah I said--"

"Hi can I have four scoops? One of chocolate, blueberry cheesecake, cotton candy, and strawberry. Oh and make it two orders of that," he says and pulls out a ten and hands it to the cashier.

"Noah, I'm going to get fat," I tell him.

He hands me my ice cream cone and smiles. "No, you're not. Let's walk around."

"How am I supposed to eat this without, I don't know, dropping the whole thing?" I ask and take a lick. These flavors taste awful together.

I watch as Noah takes a taste of his own. He has a disgusted look on his face but when he looks at me he gives me a closed-lipped smile. "Taste great."

"Liar!" I yell and laugh as I shove his shoulder. "You're trying to be nice and sugarcoat it."

"What? No, this is truly astounding, Red," he says and takes another lick as he forces a smile.

"I know it's gross you don't have to tell me and fake it," I say and a look over relief washes over him. He throws away the cone and takes mine and throws it away.

"I wasn't sugarcoating it," he says wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Then you would have told me it was disgusting which you didn't. Therefore, you were sugarcoating it," I tell him.

"Whatever," he mumbles.

NOAH REED'S P.O.V

"So you know my best friend? Lydia?" she asks me.

I nod. "Yeah, I remember her."

"She really likes you so if she makes a move or something, don't push her away or anything. She's an amazing girl," she says.

"Okay, I'll talk to her," I tell her and she smiles.

"Thank you," she says.

After a while of us walking down to the car, I finally say something once we reach it.

"Red, I need to tell you something," I say and grab her arm to stop her from walking.

She looks at me, searching my eyes to find the answer. "Okay..."

Just say it. Just say, "Hey, Jaclynn, I'm pretty sure I like you...a lot. I also know you're the girl from the ball. I'm the guy from the ball. I have your mask and that ring you left there. Just thought you should know."