chapter 25: merry christmas & happy birthday to the wackiest family in l.a.

***this is going to be kinda sho I'm sorry***

I bounce my knee up and down and glance over at mom who is looking in the direction of the front door biting her lip. Sanders is basically beating his hand against the table but no one seems to notice. Chance is looking around obviously confused. The twins are silently arguing. Everyone is nervous.

The doorbell rings and mom and dad practically run to the door before any of us have a chance to even move our chairs out.

"I doubt mom was that excited when any of us were born," Lucas mumbles and we follow them close behind. 

Mom throws open the door and there stands a caseworker holding a swaddled up baby in her arms. I can already tell she's adorable. Mom said when she looked at Sanders when she first held him, she knew he belonged with us. Let's hope it's the same with this little girl.

"Hi, I'm Miranda, the county caseworker," she whispers and reaches out a free hand and shakes mom and dads.

"Hi I'm Olive and this is my husband Adam. These are our kids," My mom says.

Th caseworker smiles and walks inside. "So this, is your baby girl."

She hands the baby to mom and her eyes glass over and a smile covers her face. The baby has pale skin and freckles decorating her nose. Her eyes are a vibrant blue and her hair is curly and brown. She has a smile on her lips and I smile back at her.

"She's gorgeous," dad whispers.

"I have papers that you need to sign in order to adopt her," Miranda says.

Mom and dad nod. 

"Here, be careful," mom says carefully handing me the baby.

I look up at the caseworker. "What's her name?"

She smiles at me. "Her name is Chevy."

I hear Ricky chuckle as he rubs her head of curls. "Like the car?"

"Just like the car."

"Go in the family room," mom instructs.

I walk with her and sit down on the couch. Sanders and Ricky sit next to me and everyone else sits on the floor in front of us. 

"Her eyes look like yours," Sanders says and nudges my arm. 

That's only one of the things similar that she has to any of us. I mean there's her skin color that matches dad. Her freckles look just like mom's in old pictures. Her smile reminds me of Chance and her nose looks like Sanders.

"She's perfect," I whisper.

"I never thought mom and dad wanted any more kids," Brian says. "I mean she already has nine. I doubted she wanted any more boys so she got lucky when it came to Lynn."

"Well she's lucky again with Chevy," Sully says.

"Maybe she'll have another girl," Ricky says with a shrug.

"Is that her?" I hear Lauren ask and we all look up.

"Yep. Her name is Chevy," I say quietly since she is starting to fall asleep.

Derek and Lauren shimmy their way into the circle and admire the baby.

"Mom and dad just don't know where to stop," Derek says shaking his head.

"I think eleven is their peaking point," Lucas says and we laugh.

"You'd think after she had you she'd stop," Derek teases shoving Luke's head which makes us laugh again.

"Mom and dad love kids," I say. "I wouldn't be surprised if they fostered when we're gone."

"Good point," Freddy agrees.

"Mind if I hold her?" Lauren asks.

"No, of course not," I tell Lauren shaking my head. I carefully hand Chevy to her.

"Well aren't you a gorgeous girl," Lauren whispers to Chevy.

I watch Derek as he looks at Lauren and Chevy. I know Derek wants kids so badly. The only thing he wants more than that is to keep Lauren happy. I nudge Derek's arm with my foot and he looks at me. I smile and he nods knowing just what I was going to ask him.

Coming to think of it, all of our greatest memories happened on Christmas Eve. When I was three, we got a bunny. I mean, I'm not sure where that bunny is now let alone if it survived to see the next day but, I know we got one. Another one was when Andrea, Lewis, our Aunt, and Uncle surprised us and we all flew to Italy and stayed until the New Year. Three years ago,  Derek proposed to Lauren here. How could I forget that at exactly midnight, the twins were born?

I look at the clock on the wall and see it's 11:59.

"Mom! Dad! It's time!" I yell.

I hear dad and mom tell the caseworker they will only be a minute before they run in and all of us hug the twins tightly. The grandfather clock goes off twelve times.

"Happy birthday Frederick and Sullivan!!" all of us yell. even a little yawn came out of Chevy's mouth.

"Merry Christmas, Chev," I hear mom and dad whisper as they plant a kiss on her nose making her smile the smallest amount.

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to the wackiest family in L.A.