chapter twenty-seven: hell no

I'm doing fine.

It's been four months.

I don't want to talk about him.

I'm moving onto better things I know I can handle.

Like, planning the spring fling. This is giving me anxiety because yes, the planning is done. Yes, it is fantastic. Yes, nothing has gone wrong. Yes, it's in three days. No, I don't have a date. This...this is the problem here. This is where things just don't work. I planned this entire thing and I'm going to show up solo? Hell no. i already know that Noah is going with Tanner South. Tanner is completely gorgeous and she knows it. She's also single. I wouldn't be surprised if they were dating.

Stop, Lynn. You're better than this.

See, there's this guy. Gorgeous. Available. In my grade. That's key obviously. Anyway, his name is Ryan. He's so perfect and he was my crush when I was like seven. Okay, twelve but then there was Jax and then there was stupid Noah. I never had a chance to see him as anyone other than a friend. So now, in this moment, I am walking up to Ryan Steelie and praying some other did not ask him.

I walk through the cafeteria unbuttoning one of the buttons on my uniform. I'm not a slut this is just in case my charm fails. I spot Ryan at Noah's table. Oh, shit. Well, this should be good.

"Hey, Ry," I say sweetly and sit next to him.

This grabs his attention because he grins at me. I see Noah looking in our direction as subtly as possible. 

"Hi Jackie. What's up?" he asks.

"Oh not much you know? Jst student coucnil stuff.." I say trailing off and he smirks at me nodding.

"Uh huh," he answers.

I purse my lips and sigh. "Okay, I need a date to the spring fling. It completely left my mind and I had no idea what I was missing but it was a date and now I'm screwed," I say exhausted and laugh at myself.

I see Noah watching us intently.

"You want me to be your date?" he asks with a smile.

"Would you, please?" I beg grabbing his arm. He looks down at me.

"Under one condition," he says in a low voice moving his face closer to mine.

I lean closer too. "And that is?"

"A kiss? Maybe a date," he suggests.

I smile and glance at Noah. He shakes his head and leans back in his chair ignoring me. I focus back on Ryan. "A kiss?"

"Yep. You don't even have to use tongue," he offers and I laugh.

I put a hand on his cheek and move closer. "Oh, if I'm going to kiss you, you best believe I'm doing it right."

He laughs and I press my lips to his. He slips his tongue in my mouth and I do the same. I feel his hand on my thigh and I move closer to him, deepening the kiss.

"Okay, Ryan!" ONe of the guys shout and I Laugh and drop my head, blushing

"Hey," Ryan says and lifts my chin up and looks me in the eyes smiling. "you have yourself a date."

I smile at him and kiss him again. "Thanks, Ry."

"No problem, Jaclynn. Anything for you."

I stand up and nod at the boys at the table. "Bye boys."

I walk out of the cafeteria and into the hall. Somone grabs my wrist and turns me around. I look up and see Noah and I snatch my hand back. 

"Noah," I say.

"Why did you kiss him?" he asks me.

"You really want to judge who I kiss now considering that you're going to the Spring Fling with Tanner South. Rumors have it you're even dating. Congratulations, Noah. Now let me move on," I say and go to turn around but he stops me.

"Yeah, I'm dating Tanner but I lo--"

"Hey, baby," Taner says and kisses him on the cheek.

Noah doesn't answer. He just keeps a steady eye on me.

"Oh, hi,"Tanner says and smiles at me.  "I'm Tanner. You're Jackie right?"

Tanner is a grade older than me so go figure, she doesn't know me.

"Yep and i'm leaving. Bye Noah," I hiss and walk down the hall and away from them.

***

"Girls! Your dates are here!" I hear my mom call up to Lydia and me.

"I can't belive you scored Rya Steelie. Ugh, he's such a dreamboat," Lydia sighs.

"Lyds," I say toching up my lipstick. "You have a husband."

She swats me off. "Minor details."

I laugh and walk downstairs with my brothers behind us.

"Lydia, looking gorgeous," Lucas says and winks.

"Lucas, go find your girlfriend," I say shaking my head.

"Yeah, yeah hatever I'm going. I'm taking your car though," he says and takes the keys.

"Don't you dare ruin that paint job! I just fixed it!" i yell back.

"The yellow car is yours I'm guessing?" Ryan asks me with a smile.

I nod. "Guilty."

"Ryan, oh I'm so happy to see you again. You have grown up so much," My mom says and pulls him into a hug.

"Thank you, Mrs. Winston. How's Chevy doing? My mom told me about her," h says and winks in my directions.

My mom smiles and rubs her very pregnant stomach. Seven months is treating her well. "She's great. Asleep right now but great. Thank you for asking."

"Sorry to interrupt, but Jaclynn we have to be there now," Lydia says.

"Right, student council," I say and shake my head. I lean forward and kiss my mom's cheek. "Bye, momma."

"Bye sweetheart. Have fun. You look gorgeous," she says happily and all of us walk out.

We get to the venue of the spring fling late. It's no one's fault it's just the traffic getting int the city was difficult. Lucky one of the seniors took over for me which gives me more of a chance to spend time with Ryan. I think I could like him. He's nice, attractive, athletic, funny, and a really good kisser.

"Do you want a drink?" he asks me and i nod and he goes off to get them.

"I can't belive you're here with him," Noah says and I bitterly laugh and turn around.

Noah's eyes go wide and he blinks a few times looking me over. 

"You have a girlfriend, Noah. You don't get to be my body guard. This is it. It's over. I'm done. I'm here with him and you are here with her. I heard Tanner is going to OSU. Thank god because I don't have to tear myself apart to watch you two together. Now you'll be 2,243 miles away from me and I'll be 2,243 mile away from you and we'll both me happy," I say and look at him.

"Jaclynn, I love you. We can make it work. We can avoid this, Fix us." 

"I love you too, Noah. We just can't do this. You graduate next SUnday. It' over. Bye," I say and walk away from him.